Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

So today I went to sign my lease. At the office the lawyer started trying to change around the agreement even as I was putting my initials on the first page. "Well you know since you are paying with checks every month I am concerned and feel that you need to double the guarantee you have with the bank." Me, "no." He continues in this vein and so I put down the pen, looked at him and said, "Apartments in Beer Sheva are an eighth of the cost, they are four times as big, my university will cover 80% of my rent if I live there, and they are plentifully available. I am willing to sign this agreement as it is or move to Beer Sheva. Which will it be?" Un_f*ing-believable. Of course he backed down, I signed, she signed. Then I was stuck having coffee with the landlady and hearing about how lonely she is. At that point I was very uncharitably thinking, "there is a reason for that" but I do feel sorry for her. She spent half the time in the office with the lawyer trying to get him to do something to prosecute the people in her building who are trying to stop her from feeding the cats outside and who have been taking up the food as soon as she puts it down, dumping out the water she leaves for them and who planted wall-to-wall cactuses on the grounds to keep the cats away. So she is a pain in the tachat but she does have a good heart.

Before the lawyer meeting I did a ton of email and slogged through two thesis proposals making changes and suggestions. Sadly I have many more to go through and they all need attending to pretty much immediately. Along with all the data analyses I still have lined up for the students not to mention getting my hands on the data they collected via a website and for which my admin access doesn't work. they need the data to finish their papers by the end of this month. All the kids affected are calling and writing. Ahhhhhh.

From the lawyer and coffee meeting I had an hour to kill before meeting up with some kewl-o bloggers who have become very good friends. I really need a brown skirt along the tiered prairie style that is quite "in" now because it can function well professionally and just kicking around, they are fantastically cool in this heat (I'm pretty much living in skirts) but ze brown can go right through the winter, and it is perfect for wearing when I have to go to J-town and don't wish to be spit upon by a Haredi lunatic. [Note: obviously not all haredim are lunatics but having been spit upon by one that was I'm taking no chances] Alas, I did not find a brown skirt (at least not within my budget) but did find a great white one on sale for 29 sheks and a pair of white pants with the wide legs but cropped at calf-length for the same price and talked the guy down to giving me the pair for 40 sheks. Can't beat that with a stick!

Then it was off to a relaxing, fun and funny evening. LOL, and there are some reminders you don't like to get. So I'm telling the story of my childhood flirtation with mormonism and how the mormon missionaries nearly got me by claiming close friendship with Donny Osmond and the three little whippersnappers at the table pipe up with confused looks...Donny who? Lisa and I exchanged looks and moaned at the same time "Oh my g-d I feel so old!" Well, ha, we don't look old, so there.

And sadly Lisoosh, I am not three people. I only wish I were three people (especially if one of 'em was whippersnapper age *grin*) because I get so very little done of the huge mountain of things that need to get done and that people are constantly screaming for and about. LOL, I'd also like to get three people's salaries hmmmmmmm have they got that cloning thing down yet....? :)

P.S. Mitzi ventured out of the "office" and into the bedroom last night. Sadly she woke me up when she shrieked and hissed when a small kitten decided to check out who this strange creature was coming past the bed. Then, because she'd climbing under the bed and up between a box and the mattress I couldn't get back in the bed (without squishing her) and had to wait a half an hour for her to emerge and shoot back to the safety of the office. She is getting braver though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home