Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tagged and other things

I've been tagged for a meme and, while I generally refuse to do these things, cos I got asked so nice and by a kewl blogger I didn't even know was blogging until now, I'm gonna do (but don't anyone else go gettin' any meme ideas :). First however, an important reminder for Israelis which you will see at the top of every post until after Thursday:
Rally for Our Kidnapped Soldiers
Thursday, 7 p.m.
Kikar Rabin, Tel Aviv
Be there or be a squirrel!

So the meme is about books. I like books and I hope to one day have the time to actually read one again...

1. Name one book that changed your life:
The Chosen, by Chaim Potok

2. One book you've read more than once:
This one is so not fair and so I'm going to prove I'm a real Israeli and a real stubborn southerner and ignore the rules. My philosophy is that any book worth reading once is worth reading more than once. I will therefore limit myself to those I have read a bajillion times and not those I've only re-read a couple times.

Every winter when it gets cold and blustery I set myself up with pots of hot tea and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Every winter. I also read the Lord of the Rings trilogy along with The Hobbit about every 2-3 years as well as Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (I would also read Jamaica Inn by the same author that often but lost my copy about 8 years ago. Sob.) and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I've read the entire series of The Wheel of Time every 2 or so years in preparation for the new one that will come out --sadly and happily the final book (12) will come out in like a year. And Robert Jordan better be planning a final book of several thousand pages because that is about how many loose ends he needs to tie up to finish the series!

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
This meme is evil! Only one?? Would I be getting off this desert island soon I hope?? I'm tempted to say War and Peace or Anna Karenina (both by Tolstoy) simply for length but it would be depressing enough to be stuck on a desert island with reading material that makes you feel like drowning yourself. [both are excellent books but, uh yeah, stay away from sharp objects while reading]. So, if stuck on a desert island I'd probably go with The Plague by Albert Camus (yeah ok, also depressing but ya know what to do?).

4. One book that made you laugh:
Again cheating it! Here are my top three: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool (you will roll on the floor); The Village of Stepanchikovo by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and whichever of the books from the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot that has the episode about the crazy (shitting) cat that got loose in the car with James and Tristan. I thought I would die laughing.

5. One book that made you cry:
Oy. Many but I'm only going to list one because I cry every time I open it. I Never Saw Another Butterfly, Children's Drawings and Poems From Terezin Concentration Camp. My mother got me this when I was maybe 13 (Ema when?) and it has had a huge emotional impact on me.

6. One book you wish you'd written:
Watership Down by Richard Adams. Love this book, love this book!

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Anything by William Faulkner. Take your pick.

8. One book you're currently reading:
Harry Potter and the Secret Chamber (book 2) in hebrew. I've already read the series up to date in english and in german so now...Also reading Oto Ha'yam by Amos Oz but that is way slooooooow going and Point of a Needle (חוד הכישור) by Robeen Makinley (??) also in hebrew.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Argh, I can't remember the title but I have it somewhere in my apartment and it was recommended to me by Jameel at the Muqata and if it had an english title I'd have a chance of a snowball in hell of remembering but since it doesn't and isn't...Jameel??!!

10. Tag five people:
This is totally evil because every time I've tagged people in these things they never behave and I'm going to probably die from all the non-compliance behavior out there but here goes:

Nominally Challenged
Savta Dotty
Noorster
Katrina Yellow
Shalom Israel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home