Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Seriously long day

Last night, in addition to being hot I got was able to realize just exactly how dirty my bathroom floor was (despite having been mopped the day before) after I got food poisoning from the tuna salad I made --hint, mayo in this heat can go bad in under half an hour. Don't know what magical qualities bathroom floors possess but laying down on one is a sure cure for nausea. First thing I did this morning was to mop that floor on the off chance I might have to get up close and personal with it again anytime soon. Then it was off to a shaky day of meetings but the meetings were really fantastic. I met with a student then made my way to Bar Ilan and met with a colleague who said lovely words like "subject pool," "experimental design" that nearly made me swoon with happiness. I have a pile of work to do as a result of that meeting (syllabi to create coming out of my ears) and that needs to be done quickly. Then I met with another colleague who is at B.I. on an impromtu --hey, I'm on campus --meeting and that was fun. The best thing was as we were leaving he asked, "so do you know when we all start back?" Aha! And I thought I was the only clueless one when it comes to stuff like this :) Nope, I told him, not a clue. I do know that I am absolutely in love with years when the High Holy Days fall late. Absolutely!

Then it was a "find your way back to Tel Aviv on the bus" adventure starting with finding the right bus --no easy task. Of course I missed my correct stop because, coming at it from a completely different direction things were completely unrecognizable to me and I was like ohhhh heyyyy I think it was like back...hmmmm. So I ended up going all the way to the central bus station where I knew I could catch a sherut right to the next meeting spot. I got to the meeting with one minute to spare. Then from there it was a rush to collect Mitzi the cat before the vet closed at 8. Got there with about 2 minutes to spare.

The good news on the Mitzi front is that Dov and Hannah had obviously scraped up enough money to get her spayed. For people on such a fixed income this was a major sacrifice (thank you, thank you!). Definitely good people. The bad news is that the poor little things had to have an enema which wasn't completely successful as she had weeks (quite literally) of food empacted in her digestive tract caused by an incredible amount of hairballs and worms. She is on special food now and needs to have medicine 3 times a day for the next 3 weeks for that particular situation and meds for her foot this is minus its little toes.

I am off to fix something to eat. Haven't had time to eat a single bite today yet but trust me dinner will not include anything that could possibly be effected by the heat. Another post coming hopefully (unless I pass out from heat and exhaustion) after I eat to round up some of the political and media developments (yo, remember that whole "Israel deliberately targeted Red Cross ambulances" story that hit all the newspapers around the world and got prime play on the BBC? DID NOT HAPPEN. Link to the very considerable proof that Hezbollah staged the entire thing from beginning to end in just a bit!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home