Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Steadfast but looking up

I think that's the way I'm feeling and maybe the way everyone is feeling. My student certainly seemed to be of a same mind as I --as three of our military helicopters zoomed low overhead with a racket, we both glanced up and watched until they disappeared from view and then she said, "I feel secure and safe and scared as hell at the same time, is that possible?" Yes, I assured her it was very possible. I felt the same; feel the same. I know our government is doing all they can to protect us. Our casualties and injured show all too well that they don't always succeed. Missiles hitting Haifa.

Many people seem to have a "well if your number is up..." philosophy but personally I think a lot of that is posturing, as much to convince themselves as anyone. I'm basing this only on one case, of course, but I'm pretty sure it is beneath the surface of all those who shrug with an assumed unconcerned air.

So my one case --my lovely green grocer down the street. I've posted before, I think, about him. He is the nice arab-israeli (he prefers the term "Christian-Israeli") owner of the little store where I buy most of my veggies. He always has a warm smile and sometimes sneaks a little something extra into my bag --a small cucumber, a plum that "will go bad so soon, take it, it is nothing" --because he thinks I'm too skinny and need my mother here to feed me better. Well...I do eat better when my mother is here! So, the other day we were discussing the news (of course) that was blaring on the tv hanging on the wall half in and half out of his open-sided shop and he opined that if a rocket hit in Tel Aviv and it hit him, well it was just that his number was up. I nodded my personally nervous agreement (yo, if something can fall on me, it will). He bagged up my things and, as he was about to hand it to me, a car alarm started to blare ...we both nearly jumped to the ceiling. Then, heart still not quite back in my body, we exchanged nervous and rueful grins. Whew, our number was not up just yet.

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to our newest olim, the 174 who have arrived in the past two weeks, the 220 that will come on thursday from the U.S. and Canada, and the 620 from France early next week --but things are already quite hot enough. Still, a special welcome to my cousin (yeah another cousin!) who arrived yesterday. Steadfast guys, but keep your eyes looking up and 'be alert.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home