Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Looking at the destruction in Haifa and it is massive. My beautiful Haifa. TV going non-stop. Noorster is coming over in just a few minutes. She doesn't have a tv. And it is better to sit through all this with someone than alone.

We have a bomb shelter in my building: otherwise known as the rat-infected basement. It is, of course, not an official bomb shelter but the best we have and where the residents of this building took shelter when Scud missiles were falling during the Gulf War. Our apartment manager has asked me to be responsible for getting my elderly neighbors from the floor below down into the shelter if there is a need. They move at an inch a minute so it should be fun. Of course I said yes. He had also given me a list of supplies to get, a lot of which I already had on hand (thank you Frank!!), but I have to go and get some more waters today cos while sitting up all night watching the on-going horror and destruction of our beautiful countries I was compulsively sipping away. Ema, sorry, but that attempt to cut down on smoking I was making ---errrrr kinda have gone the other way.

Updates as they come.

Siren going off in Haifa...

Have a meeting with a student in an hour and half, I'm so not able to absorb the thesis chapter he has sent me that we need to discuss. Trying to concentrate. Noorster is here. Phone ringing with students setting up meetings. Tv blaring. Life goes on but what a chaos of a life. Oy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home