Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Update: Ze paper from hell he is done. Sent. Gone. Finished. Hurray! And I think I managed to at least mostly de-plagarize my own words. Well at least I didn't self-plagarize any of my articles that were in any of the bigger more important publication venues.

Now the big decision: to take a nap and rest my tired little eyes before ulpan or...to start on the other two articles that were due uh, last week. Hmmm.....Maybe put another load of clothes washing! Aha, yes, that is the answer. Mechanics came today, fished two sheks from the filter and replaced a defective pump and I am in washing machine heaven. Which is good because there are piles of dirty laundry everywhere all over the apartment happily sorted by colour and waiting their turn to not sit on my floor, or my couch, or at the foot of my bed.

I plan to blog about my thoughts on what occurred on Friday on the Gaza beach but I have and still am too upset about it to even think about writing. I don't have any words at the moment and I am haunted by it. I feel physically sick when I even think about it, exactly as I feel when a suicide bomb has gone off here but differently too, worse in a way. Well, later, I don't have the words now.

Plagarism is bad, immoral and just plain wrong. But is plagarizing yourself in that same category? You wrote it to begin with right? Of course, journals and books and other things do not want your recycled sentences --no they are in for the new and fresh ones. The problem I am having is that, well, there are only so many ways to describe the findings of the same lab study, for instance. I have, to date, found 11 different ways to describe it(them) --it is the 12th that I am really having problems with. I keep re-writing sentences and finding that, lo and behold, I re-wrote or maybe originally wrote (who can keep track?!) that sentence in exactly that way in article X. So change it...nooooo, there it is in article P. Waaaa. And it is not that I am simply regurgitating the same article again and again (thankfully, I'd shoot myself) but that these studies are foundational and so have to be discussed along with new studies and in new contexts in nearly everything I write. Part of what takes me so long now in writing is trying to track down all the "have I said this before and if so in the exact same way?" things.

Almost done with this paper. Almost. End in sight. Stop. Don't celebrate yet...back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home