Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Little Girl update: Several things have occurred on the the baby cat front. One of the kittens "went" copiously last night but I can't be sure which one. Baby girl may or may not have swallowed the nipple. In my sleep-dazed state (it was nearly 3 a.m.) when I pulled out the soiled baby blanket and replaced it with a clean one I wasn't looking too carefully within the carrier other than at the baby blanket itself. This morning --two feedings later--, however, when I went put in another clean blanket I discovered the bitten-off nipple in the bottom of the carrier. Yow, I thought, that must mean it was little girl who went and she passed the nipple out. But the vet checked it out and said he doesn't think she swallowed it to begin with because "it would be in much worse shape." That then begs 2 questions, first how did it get in the carrier to begin with? --I have changed the bedding in it umpteen times since the nipple separated from the bottle and there was no sign of it in the carrier. Plus, I was feeding her several feet away from the carrier when the biting off incident happened. Secondly, if having a nipple stuck in her gut wasn't what made her not be able to excrete and to do the projectile vomiting then what has caused it? She is half (quite literally) the size of her brothers who are growing by leaps and bounds. So obviously she has not been absorbing her food. The boys don't fit in my hand anymore --she does with room to spare.

The next mixed news is that at that 3 a.m. feeding --supposed to be boys only--she climbed onto the formula plate and started drinking on her own. Because the vet had said not to let her have anything until the 9 a.m. feeding though, I took her away from the food. At the 9 a.m. feeding --she didn't want to eat. Not only didn't want to eat but when I put a little bit of food into her mouth she did swallow it but about 1 minute later it came right back up.

We just got back from the vet. He gave her a tiny bit of fluids and some antibiotics. I am now on the "feed her teeny tiny amounts of food every two hours" schedule and I just gave her 3 ccs of formula --so far so good. We're on the waiting and hoping that things will turn around for her schedule. If she pulls through this, I'm keeping her. I made her that promise at the 6 a.m. (boys) feeding when she burrowed under my chin, clinging to my nightshirt, crying weakly and purring at the same time.

The good news is that the boys are in excellent shape. A rough and tumble, playful crew. The vet was all compliments on their development. (Oh and for all you would-be shadchans out there --trust me, I'd marry the vet in 2 seconds if he seemed even remotely interested --so di already!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home