Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, June 16, 2006

As predicted, today was a wash for getting my own work on papers and such done but was extremely busy on other fronts. I met with students until almost 9 p.m. when I rushed to catch the last train back. I signed off on papers allowing BGU to get reimbursed from the government for hiring me (ole for the olah!), I picked up my university-paid- for plane tickets to Germany for the big meeting I have coming up there. I signed papers to insure that I will get university funds for my 3 days there for expenses--how crazy is this: 400 euroes for 3 days!!!! (this is ooo I thought 1/4th but just did the conversion on the calculator and discovered it is 98% of my montly take-home salary from BGU! For 3 days!!). Yo, I am so not complaining. I desperately need new bedsheets from Hertie (I have a lovely german bed with double german mattress system --linens from the U.S. and also from here don't fit it, like at all. I can't tell you how badly I need new sheets and duvet covers). I need like everything and anything from Hertie or Karstadt two of my favourite places on earth and I am not really a shopping kind of girl. I hope I can find a good shop for jeans since I won't be on home german turf. I only buy jeans in germany (the only place I've found jeans to fit my funky little figure) and the last time I bought them was like years ago and my current set are in varying stages of sprouting many serious holes.

When I got home tonight at close to midnight I found the sweetest card I've ever gotten in my mailbox. My mother sent it and it said (in part):

"The geographical distance between a polish jewish mom and her adventurer daughter is too great. I'm working on a solution. Hang on! I'll be there to offer support (also unwanted advice, nervy comments, etc.)"

Nu, I happen to have the best polish'e yiddische mama ever to grace this earth and if anyone suggests otherwise them's fightin' words :)

P.S. shorts have finally made a come-back here. Lots of shorts just like mine that I was wearing last year and that people looked at me like I had two heads for wearing (ok, Israel is obviously a year behind the U.S. in fashion which is a year behind Germany). Girls everywhere in Tel Aviv are sporting shorts (mostly combined with a hideously Israeli fashion glitch of combining them with high heeled pumps -- yo, the Dukes of Hazzard is so passe girls). The questions are now whether I can a) find where I packed the darn shorts away and b) can I, after my hummus-eating year, still fit into them if I find them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home