Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Yom haAtzmaut --Independence Day!

Hag Sameach!This is the sign lighting up Rabin Square tonight, reading "Happy Holiday to Israel."

It was a happy and joyous day, indeed, filled with sun, good food, great music, and fantastic friends. This morning I took a walk along the beach and saw all the many, as in hundreds!, of sailboats in all colours and sizes zipping around. It turns out it was a special sailing event in honour of Yom Atzmaut. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me and when I got back home I discovered I could still see all the boats in the little slice of the ocean I get from my kitchen window. I took a picture but, sadly, because it focused on the bars outside the window all the boats came out blurry --bah, so I didn't upload it. You'll just have to take my word for it that it was really a pretty sight!

Then it was off to Miriam's for a barbecue. Miriam lives in a little house hidden away in the middle of Tel Aviv (you'd never guess there was a little house there from the street!) and next to her house is her little garden, beautifully filled with flowers. I always think of it as "the secret garden" --kind of like the garden from the book of the same name which was one of my favourites as a child.

SavtaDotty was already there with her puppy Jenny when I arrived Israeli-late. But I wasn't the most Israeli of us as I was, at 20 minutes late, the almost-first to arrive. Then I got a surprise when a woman walked into the secret garden and I saw that it was Suzanne from my ulpan class! How did she know...it is a small country folks and everyone really does know almost everyone! Then Danny and Gucci, the winning scrabble team from last friday, arrived, followed by Noorster.


An Independence Day FeastMusic from the CD Am Yisrael Chai was playing and we sat down to enjoy the first courses while the salmon steaks were grilling. The flowers in the bowl of potato salad are from her garden and they are edible!

And here is what all was on the grills (the grills are disposable ones!) DSCF0369

I'll leave you with a picture of my flag that I proudly hung outside my window yesterday --the one way up at the top of the building. My flag. My country. My heart is so full. DSCF0358

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger margretlangley19702996 said...

While you read this, YOU start to BECOME aware of your surroundings, CERTIAN things that you were not aware of such as the temperature of the room, and sounds may make YOU realize you WANT a real college degree.

Call this number now, (413) 208-3069

Get an unexplained feeling of joy, Make it last longer by getting your COLLEGE DEGREE. Just as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, these College Degree's come complete with transcripts, and are VERIFIABLE.

You know THAT Corporate America takes advantage of loopholes in the system. ITS now YOUR turn to take advantage of this specific opportunity, Take a second, Get a BETTER FEELING of joy and a better future BY CALLING this number 24 hours a day.
(413) 208-3069

 

Post a Comment

<< Home