Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, May 06, 2006

My watch has stopped. Of course, being that it is shabbat tomorrow this means I am going to spend the next day having no idea what time it is. And I have a very early morning meeting on Sunday. Maybe I can find a place open tomorrow night that can replace watch batteries --I now have 4 (as cheap as you can get) watches sans batteries. My watches tend to die on me in the most inopportune places --airports, foreign countries (shabbat eve) and so forth --and hence I now have 4 emergency-bought watches that I don't really like, are ugly, and the bands falling apart and, of course, none with working batteries any longer. The deal is, once I buy a super cheap and ugly emergency watch I promptly forget to go and get replacement batteries for any of the other ones. Intelligent yes?

The last couple of days have been totally random, as my friend Michie would say, and so this will be a kind of a random post. Yesterday I had a meeting which ran late and caused me to miss a train which made me miss a meeting. Work was a balagan on so many levels but I'll only discuss one of them and that is that I had to cancel my class because the powerpoint projector wouldn't work on any of the computers available and what they needed to see to understand was on the powerpoint. I tried the explain how to code a survey in php to them last week and they all (but the boys) freaked out. So this week was supposed to be a more soothing, ok look see this is how you do it and this is what the gobbeldy gook you are writing will appear on the Internet kind of class. But no. Then, somewhere between the classroom where I had my train ticket and the train station my ticket disappeared into thin air. Grr. Had to buy another one and those things are not cheap.

I had a very nice relaxing afternoon after dealing with students on the phone and via email all morning. Got to see friends and eat really good soup :) Then i got home to a zillion more emails to handle and to make a list of all the things I need to do tomorrow. Hmmm, it seems totally doable if tomorrow were in maybe September and I had from now until then...

On Sunday after my meeting in Jerusalem I'm going to be mailing stuff off to my mother and to several friends in the States. Mostly stuff I promised to send off months ago. Sunday it will happen however. Everything is in its little box or envelope and ready to go. Sunday I also call to set up volunteering with the abused children who have been removed from their homes and now live in Bayit Acheret. It is not a completely altruistic act here --I'm hoping my hebrew will improve through this endeavour. They help me, I help them and everyone is a bit better off :).

There is really cool music playing outside my apartment right now from a car stopped at the traffic light. Sounds like it is in my apartment. At least it is, oh well darn, the light seems to have changed...hey come back! :)

Thank you to whoever added Tosia Altman into the wikipedia.

And thank you to Gili, who posted a great name on my hebrew website for the new website I'm putting together. It is a winner :) I'm hoping it will be ready to go up and be operative in the Fall. It has to wait until I've gotten another website up and running for which I have, hopefully, funding to get up and running. I should know about the funding thing by next weekend (I hope).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home