Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

It is 10 p.m. and I just got home from Beer Sheva. In exactly 7 hours I will leave my house for...Beer Sheva. That's right, we have an 8 a.m. meeting scheduled to go many many hours tomorrow. Now, out of the meeting participants 4 of us live in Tel Aviv and the other 2 live in Jerusalem ...can someone tell me why it is we are meeting at this ung-dly hour a zillion miles away from where any and all of us reside?! I mean, hellooooo?

We had the first part (the first two hours of it) of the faculty meeting today. In hebrew. Can i say my brain hurts. And it hurts even though I didn't understand more than 1 word in every 30 or so. We haven't gotten to all those technical phrases about matriculation and university procedures and all that jazz in ulpan (and I doubt we ever will) so I just kinda sat there going eehhhhhhhhhh beseder. Tomorrow will likely be more of the same.

I had another two hours of hebrew (well mixed with english) with two of my students on the train home. It actually made the ride seem much shorter and I learned quite a few phrases and idioms and words.

Gearing up for a busy (argh argh) busy week next week. Saturday is one of my very good friend's birthday and hence party on the beach --oo la. On Sunday I meet with folks at the IDC about courses next year. On Monday and Tuesday I am back and forth to Jerusalem for a conference on Peace in the Middle East (yes, I'll take an order of that, please, do fries come on the side?) I'm looking forward to it a lot. One of the keynote speakers will be Sari Nusseibeh of Al Quds University. On Wednesday I have an 40 page article due in or I may not live to ever attend another conference --uh I have the title page written :) (I have several other articles past due but no one is threatening me on those yet so they are hanging out on the back burner. Maybe the journals and book authors I owe them to will forget...:) And then class again on Thursday.

I love my life here. I hate being so busy but I also kind of like it. I must be a masochist at heart.

P.S. Thought I might just collapse into bed but my neighbor is home. No he isn't having an extremely loud and passionate night but he is being loud. He is doing what he does on the nights that he doesn't manage to score --playing his drums at high volume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home