Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

I got interviewed by the BBC today about how I plan to vote in the upcoming elections. I plan to do a post on this soon. Pretty much, I think Shai summed up my view right now in his piece on the upcoming vote he wrote for The Guardian (read it here). Not sure how much sense I made when answering her questions as I was rushing trying to get ready in time to catch my bus to Beer Sheva.

Then, on the bus, I got a call from one of my colleagues who said, "you will be here at 2, right? Did anyone tell you?" Well, yes I had planned on being there at 2 because I had set up a student meeting, but tell me what? "Oh no, they didn't tell you. Ok so we each have to give a 15 minute presentation on our research to the new students at 2." Ahhhh thank you so much for the information. Yalla. So, I decided then and there on the bus that I'd do it in hebrew. I have to teach next year fully b'ivrit, right? And, I'm thinking to myself, if I do it in hebrew maybe I can get away with a quick 5 minutes rather than 15 cos they'll be so impressed that I'm actually uh speaking in a language they understand. So I spent the next 10 minutes mapping out the first part of what I'd say and then, as the bus neared the stop realized I'd just have to wing the rest. And, go me, go me, it went. In fact, mine went even longer than the other people who were presenting. Ok so mine was like 8 minutes and everyone else did about 5. Then we all smiled and waved to the new students and scrammed.

It was kind of neat though. After I finished everyone in the room applauded me. Some of my students who were also at the gathering came up afterwards and said "you didn't even make any mistakes!" I was like really? I had no idea of what I had said or didn't say after I was done just like when I give talks in english heh.

Busy weekend and week coming up. Have meetings on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Monday back in B.S. for the day). Have to write up a pre-grant proposal for the meeting on Saturday (and refine it for the meeting on Monday to be refined after that meeting again). Have an article to write. papers to grade. Students to harm (oh darn, we're not allowed to do that are we?) er supervise further on the disasters they turned in last week.

Sigh and lots I want to blog about but not sure if I'll get the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home