Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Don't you want a day like mine?

I spent 6 hours total today traveling for a half hour meeting in which I discovered that all the work I'd done for an initial presentation to get people started talking about ideas and how this proposal should look was basically wrong. But there was no clear consensus on how to make it right. In fact, there were no concrete ideas or suggestions offered that I could really follow. I took copious notes and...many of the ideas are contradictory. I was trying to figure out what we need to do initially. You know, like first step. People are talking about needing to do 3 separate and totally different things (appeal to the university, the appeal to community organizations and then the appeal to the big bad boys of big business for funding). Great, fine. But what do we do first?! No, correction, what do I do first? Because I'm the one having to put all this together and needed their input because I don't have a clue about how things are done and presented in this country and (obviously from my write-up) they are done quite differently from in my previous country. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Can I do that again and just a little louder?

Oh and I have to have another iteration of it done by Thursday and then just two weeks until I get to have a lovely meeting about it with the university president. I'm just so tickled pink. On top of everything else I'm having to do. What's that Alannis Morrisette line, "slap me with a splintered ruler?" yeah, go ahead, can't be any worse of an experience.

Then I get all the way to the outer door of my building and get trapped by my neighbor who rushes up to tell me she is so worried and doesn't know what to do, looking rather frantic. So of course I can't say "get outta my way babe I'm tired and in a pissy mood" but have to stand there to find out what is so wrong. She is so worried about her daughter, she tells me, her daughter you see is suffering from hemorrhoids and oh my at her young age, because you see my neighbor got them after she gave birth which is quite common but for a young woman and she is home crying and nothing works and....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. There are some things you just don't want to know. Not even about people you haven't ever met. Definitely not about people you have met if they are along these lines.

I finally pried myself away to enter my apartment and find that Pandy had yakked. Everywhere. In every room. See what happened, I'm now doing to you what my neighbor did to me! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I ran into someone today waiting or the bus who told me that there is a really good ulpan in Petach Tikva. Friends from my previous ulpan have all moved to Ulpan Ra'anana and they say it is pretty good. If I have time tomorrow with all the other crap I have to do, I will call both and see which sounds better and which one I can get to easiest. I can't start until next Sunday anyway because I have meetings every night this week. But I do want to know how it is that I can know (I counted) 1800 plus words in hebrew and still not string together the most basic sentence on a daily basis in general? Hmmmmmm? What the hell is wrong with me? And if one more random person launches into english at me when I'm imposing my horrid hebrew on them, I'm going to slap them with a splintered ruler. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home