Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Well the syllabus was done, sent off, response sent back, revised and sent back off. I still have the one (for now a year from now) that I have to revise and send to them tomorrow. Not sure yet how things are going to shake out. I'm told that the workshop will cater to around 130 students, meaning it will actually be broken down into many (repeating same material) smaller workshops each week. It was suggested to break it down into 4 separate classes of 30 students each or, would it be possible for me to have 3 classes of 40? I wrote back saying, well basically this depends on the difference in salary --because if the difference is miniscule or, worse, no difference then my vote is to stuff them into the class like little herrings. Got a response back saying, well we don't need to decide the class size right now...ummm hmmm so why was it brought up and not by me? Hah, and people accuse me of being "little Mary sunshine" and seeing the best in people --no more lemme tell ya. I am now highly suspicious.

I was also pretty impressed with my Israeliness (i.e. rude and demanding and highly offended) this morning thus bringing on the second phone call and at least an income of some unknown size shape or description coming in next year.

Pandy kitty is having a hard day today with a lot of nausea and thus not wanting to eat much. I ran her in for a shot of the pramin (works much better than the pramin pills) and she is only just now showing an interest in eating on her own. I intend to learn how to give her pramin shots because they just work so much better. I'm getting fearless!

I have named the little kitten Matun. For the non-hebrew speakers (besides myself :) Matun means moderate. He got this name for two reasons. First, I'm hoping the name will encourage him to actually act kinda moderate --it is surprising how unmoderate a feral kitten with a broken leg can be. Secondly, I've named every male cat I've ever had with an M name. I don't know why this is, but what to do. I've had Mik Mik, Midnight (Middie), Mysterious (Mystie), Mischa (Misch Misch), and now Matun. [Actually I did have one boy cat I named Peter when I was 5] I'm not so creative as my brother. He's named his cats things like Xuxa (Shusha), Sluggo and Frisky Nipper. Of course, he's also named his cats things like Black and White (because it was uh black and white), Momma Kitty (the feral mother of 5 zillion feral kittens), Fuzzy Black Kitty (to differentiate it from it's sibling Black Kitty Boo) and so forth.

Tonight I sat down and started going through my little vocabulary book I created comprising all the words I'd never seen or heard before that we've had in ulpan (at least from the days I was there) but not including words from most of the zillion different readings and handouts we've had (just the ones orally provided). There are 210 filled pages in this book with an average of 9 words on each page: thus a total of about 1,890 words. I am going through it page by page making a second booklet of all the words that I still don't know (like at all, or it takes me more than 2 seconds to bring it to mind going from english to hebrew). Out of the first 35 pages there are 76 hideous unknown words. The good news is that means that I do know 239 of them. I'm figuring my knowledge rate is about to plummet though as I continue on because obviously these early words are the ones we got first and thus have come across more often. Nonetheless, KADIMA!

BTW the commentary on the post I did on what to do about settlers who don't want to leave continues to be very interesting. I wish there was some way to keep that post and the conversation going on about it up at the top where folks will see it more easily and continue to take part in talking about it. The commentary is the most interesting thing that's happened on my blog, I think :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home