Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I was quite chuffed when I checked out my hebrew blog and discovered that 700 people had checked it out until I realized that like 99% of them most likely don't read hebrew but rather surfed in off the "just updated" thing on blogspot or came there kinda randomly and still don't read hebrew. And this is probably a really good thing because, uh, my hebrew sux.

I am qite sad that my ulpan class is ending on Thursday. Today I not only understood everything we were talking about but (gasp) dared to enter the fray on the cartoon (yes that cartoon) issue discussion and to add my two cents when our teacher (showing that she is really uber kewl, even if she does jump up and start dancing in the middle of the really pitiful ulpan sing-a-long thing [Kat you really missed the wrong day!]) gave us all the link to the Israeli anti-semitic cartoon contest.

Matun (tiny kitty) has a new cast. I thought about titling this post "in the box; out of the box" or maybe just "out of the box" which would represent me for taking in cat #4 and for moving to this crazy country and, worse, feeling that making aliyah was the best thing I've ever done in my life. The "in the box" though refers to getting small wild kitten into the carrier the vet gave me. The "out of the box" in addition to the above also refers to what happened when I stacked two carriers (Pandy and Matun) just outside the door so I could lock said door before dragging them both to the vet. Who can say balagan?! (mess, disaster area?!)

Small kitten without a cast decides to ricochet back and forth in the carrier (atop Pandy's carrier) and thus knock his carrier onto the floor in the hallway. By the stairs. With a drop over the ledge that goes 5 floors straight down. And, of course, the door of the carrier flies off, completely off, and small hobbling (very quickly hobbling) kitten escapes and begins hobbling along the staircase ledge. Heart in throat I am actually relieved when he shoots/hobbles down the hall to the elevator door and I can race down and trap him. Sorta. He is no longer looking for happy petting. He is spitting and hopping up and down on 3 legs and swiping out with teeny tiny but very sharp claws. Grab the little sucker and wrestle him back down the hall, realize I can't get the carrier back together, wrestle out my keys, (allow him to remove a lot of the skin from my stomach area in the process), get the door open, kick the broken carrier into the apartment ahead of me --partly because I'm pissed off and partly to scare the crud out of the two cats that are tres interested in all the goings on out in the jungle outside the apartment and wanna come see--, and retrieve yet another carrier and shove him into it.

Pandy was an angel at the vets. Matun was not matun at all but now has a cast bigger than he is on his leg (try hobbling now little beastlet!) and all is mostly well with the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home