Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, February 06, 2006

I still feel like I've been run over by a truck (a big one) but I managed to drag myself out and all over g-d's creation today. Not that doing so accomplished very much. Ahhh the joys of beaurocracy and my own incompetence. I decided to start with the tasks closest to home and move forward from there.

So first stop was at my landlady's flat. I'd bought her some (Danish) cookies yesterday because I've been feeling guilty about avoiding (hiding, not answering the door, pretending to maybe be dead) her Shabbat dinner invitations. I am sometimes not a very nice or considerate person. She is old and lonely and living with a mentally ill and not very nice to her mother daughter. She is a holocaust survivor. She is starting to lose her cognitive functioning rapidly. My mother scolded me when she was here because I'd promised to go and sit with her and to record her story which she really wants to tell to someone before she dies and I haven't done it. I really do have to go and do that and soon. Anyway, I went to drop the cookies off to her and had planned to sit and chat for no more than half an hour --I always say this and it always turns into 2 or 3 hours before I can politely pry myself away but this time I was adamant --except, she wasn't home. If her daughter was home, she was pretending to be dead and not answering the door. So, feeling relief, I propped the cookie tin up against the door and stole away. of course, I hadn't had the brains to bring along any paper and so I couldn't leave a note letting her know I'd stopped by. Well, she now has mystery gift cookies :)

From there I went only a couple of blocks to the Maccabi medical center. There I waited for an hour and a half (also didn't have the brains to bring a book or anything to amuse myself). Finally it was my turn. Ok, I need tofes (form) 17 I tell the woman. "Where's your paperwork? And did we call to tell you it is ready?" Uhhhhh what? I explained that the woman from Ichilov (the hospital) had called to tell me I needed to zip over and grab this form and then fax it to her. She didn't say anything about needing to bring anything or uh anything like that. So, basically, in order to get the form I need a bunch of forms that I got from the hospital last October and ...good luck. No clue where they are. I'm sure they are here somewhere only because I never seem to throw anything away (unless it might be a critical form) and I wouldn't recognize it (them?) if it/they fell on me. So now I have to call Ichilov and ask them to re-send me the forms so I can wait another 1 and 1/2 hours to turn in the forms and then come back and wait another 1 1/2 to get tofes 17 and then to fax ....tomorrow, I said to myself.

From there I walked on over to the "register for your arnona" place and took a number. I waited only 1 hour there. I had actually remembered to find and bring with me my rental contract. I had brought my teudat oleh and my teudat zehut. Go me. My water bill for the past 4 months was only 50 shekels. Everything seemed to be going so well. Then..."but this says you are living on Allenbi and you aren't living on Allenbi anymore?" It was some little piece of paper thing in my teudat zehut that I got like 3 days after getting off the plane and that I never look at and no one else has ever wanted to look at before. Uhh, well I moved, I explained helpfully pointing at the lovely contract she had just tzilmah (copied). Sighing, she shook her head. "You have to go to the government offices close to the Azrieli and change your address there and then either bring back the official piece of paper to me or fax it to me before I can process your arnona and, most importantly, your arnona reduction" (as an olah chadasha I get a lovely something like 80% discount on what I have to pay for the arnona). Happily, on Mondays they and the other offices are open until 5. I didn't know this and it is good to remember.

Soooo, from there I went to the change your address place by a very circuitous route. In other words, I got myself lost. Somehow, and I don't know how I managed this, after about 45 minutes of walking I ended up at the corner of Rotshild and Allenbi which is way the hell away from the Azrieli (which is really not that far from where I started out at K. Rabin. At least I got in a very good walk today). It took me another half hour to make my way to the correct place. Then it was quick. 20 minutes later my address was changed, I had the new piece of paper I hope to never look at again, and just downstairs was a photocopy and fax place where I was able to mtzalemet (copy) the damn thing and fax it. Then, checking my watch, I realized the bank way long long ago closed and so scratched that off my list.

I walked home, got to rest for half an hour, then packed up Pandy in her carrier and zipped her around the corner for another EPO shot (my fav vet doesn't keep it on hand and so suggested that it is better for her to get it there since she has to have it every other day), another anti-nausea shot (works better than the pepcid pills and so when already there, why not?), he gave her fluids too since I only had a bit left to give her this morning. I bought another bag of fluid and more special "good for the kidneys" wet kitty food (she hates it, it is very not tasty --even the other cats won't touch it) and brought her back. Stuffed her with nasty wet food. Then grabbed my school bag and went to the cafe to study (er, make that read Harry Potter). Now I'm back and feeling like I've been run over by a train and not a truck. Hmmmm, that offer of homemade matza ball soup is sounding sooooo good right now! (It is kind offers like these from Don and his wife that make reason 547 to make Aliyah!). Tonight though, I'm actually too tired to eat.

And I've been neglecting my hebrew blog. I really need to think about writing a post for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home