Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, February 20, 2006

Ari has asked me to post this link to an excellent and well-thought out post of his and I'm glad to do it. I second his thoughts that, if you haven't actually seen Paradise Now, don't go signing nuthin' and I second a lot of the other things he says in that post. Myself, I haven't seen, I haven't signed, and I haven't been to a movie in g-d knows how long (well, ok, I did get let out of my pen to go see Harry Potter but that's it. I'm feeling deprived).

Today there was a major break-through with Matun. My mother had a truely evil suggestion which I followed to tame the terrible (and tiny) beast: starve him. And I did. It was hard. He cried pitifully. I hardened my heart. For 24 hours he got nada, klum, shum davar to eat. Then tonight I crept in with food in my hand. He ran away and hissed but...the smell of the food was just too great for him and he oh-so-timidly crept forward until he was eating out of my hand. While he was thus busy, I began to gently stroke his hind end. He started to purr. Next I knew, he wanted the petting more than the food. Tomorrow the same tactic will be tried but this time the food will go into the carrier with me sitting beside it and when he goes in...slam the door! and voila, off to the vet for the new cast.

I overheard a really bizarre conversation tonight while sitting at my fav cafe and, looking up, recognized one of the participants from ulpan (but not from my class). I headed home after picking my jaw up off the floor. It was one of those things that you just wish you could blog about but in this instance you can't really do the "names of the participants have been changed to protect the guilty" (actually, I don't remember her name anyway) because if she or the other party or like anyone she knows were to happen upon my blog --and I keep running into people who go 'are you oleh girl?' around here; it is a very small country -- it would be insta-recognition. So, yes, I am mean to tease and then not share :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home