Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, January 02, 2006

My kitty, Pandy, is in the kitty hospital tonight. She has been extremely lethargic and off her food for several days. Then last night and this morning she wouldn't eat at all, just growling and hissing at the food when I put it in front of her. So I scooped her up and took her to the vet.

This turned into a major ordeal for both her and me. Upon examining her, the vet proclaimed that she is anemic, dehydrated, and has a slight jaundice to her eyes --we don't know why yet. He needed to take blood from her and give her an IV of fluids and antibiotics. When he tried to take her blood she did not cooperate at all. I was holding her tightly by the scruff of the neck for him but she struggled so much he couldn't keep the needle in her leg. He sedated her and we tried again. He inserted the needle 9 times without being able to get enough of a sample from her and then she bit the hell out of me. Well the poor little thing --it is very painful what he was doing, he told me and to do it 9 times without success in a row! (My cat obviously takes after me: the last time I had to have a shot --it was a rabies shot--I kicked the nurse. It was totally a reflex. How embarrassing! I won't go into the details of why I had to have a rabies shot, more accurately shots, because that is even more embarrassing).

So then he had to completely put her under and shave the other arm and try again. After two more tries (this time it was just his ineptitude because she was completely zonked) he was able to get enough of a sample to send to the lab. He is keeping her overnight for observation. I am quite worried about what could be making her so sick.

My own finger is now swollen from the bite and quite painful. Ow.

I spent four hours tonight trying to figure out when one should use the hitpael vs piel vs pual version of a verb. I was not successful. Damned if I know. Well ok, there are some instances in which it seems clear (though I'm probably wrong about those too) but most the time I am just completely clueless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home