Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, January 14, 2006

I got tagged by Jameel and Yosef for Memes a while back and am finally getting around to doing them. Took a bit of footwork to find the questions Jameel sent cos it was so long ago (hey, I'm ADHD and you wonder about my procrastination and losing things?!) So here goes, starting with Jameels and then moving on to Yosef's:

7 Things I can do:
1. The splits (left, right, and straddle still after all these years)
2. Knit gloves, socks and sweaters
3. Climb a mountain without proper mountain climbing gear (ok, so I didn't realize I was doing the climb on the wrong side of the mountain until I got to where I couldn't go back and had only the choice of going...up)
4. Jump out of an airplane (with parachute)
5. Talk and cry my way out of 7 speeding tickets in the U.S. and two jaywalking tickets here in Tel Aviv giving me a ticketless record for life so far
6. write fantasy fiction
7. Move to a foreign country

7 Things I can't do:
1. Speak Hebrew
2. Finish knitting a complete pair of gloves or socks in the same year
3. Sing at all in tune or anywhere close to where that tune might have wandered
4. Finish a paper or anything else by deadline
5. Walk past a starving cat without feeding it
6. learn to program in C
7. Get to ulpan on time

7 Things I constantly say:
1. Sorry, sorry
2. That was due today?!
3. Slicha, ani lo midaberet ivrit tov
4. Like
5. I love you
6. I'll get to it immediately, I promise
7. Where did I put that....?

7 Things I'd like to do in my lifetime:
1. Have children and live to see them married and happy
2. Learn to speak hebrew and without an accent
3. publish a fiction book
4. Learn to be an EMT and volunteer my time and services (without fainting)
5. Stop smoking
6. Convince at least 10 people of the importance of Aliyah and see them settled here happily
7. Learn how to really cook

Now on to Yosef's:

Four jobs I've had in my life: Salesgirl at a coffee shop, Dishwasher, Gymnastics instructor, Assistant professor.

Four movies I could watch over and over: Bringing Up Baby, Silence of the Lambs, The Others (watched this one something like 20 times), The Lord of the Ring Trilogy.

Four places I've lived: New Orleans, Egham England, Konstanz Germany, Athens, Georgia (to name uh just 4)

Four TV Shows I love to watch: Oh dear, I actually don't have any to put here because I haven't watched tv regularly in years. Hmm from the tv dvd collection: Star Trek Next Generation, Jeeves and Wooster, The X Files, Dr Who

Four places I've been on vacation: Western Europe (all over, including Paris, Berlin, Munich, Zurich, Venice, Milan, London, Isle of Skye, Edinburough, Stochholm, and lots of small places in-between), Tromso Norway, Hawaii, British Columbia.

Four websites I visit daily: Ynet, Haaretz, New York Times, Google.

Four of my favorite foods: Indian food (any of the vegetarian fare), Hummus (but only the real Israeli stuff), black olives (can eat a can for breakfast), pizza (cheese, green olves, mushrooms, onions, and sun-dried tomatoes yummmm!)

Four places you'd rather be: Eilat (warmth, warmth), Mount Herman (if I gotta freeze at least I could do it while learning to ski), a cozy cafe in Tel Aviv rather than on my cold little couch, another cozy cafe in Tel Aviv.

Four books I'll read over and over again: Pride and Prejudice (aha and it is just about time to get that one out along with a pot of tea and a pile of blankets --my winter must), The entire Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (11 of 12 books out so far), Waffenschwestern, Ender's Game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home