Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Good day. Bad day. Good day. Bad day. It seems like it is not possible to have two good days in a row with the kitty. Everything was easy with her yesterday (well, if you count having to force-feed her every two hours --including waking up in the middle of the night to do it-- administer pills at three different times during the day and give her the subcutaneous fluids, easy). She cooperated yesterday and even played a bit last night --got on the scratching toy for just a minute but it is the first time she has shown any interest in playing in a week).

Today was so not a good day with her. She screamed -loudly --everytime I came near her, even if it was just to pet her, though of course mostly it is to shove food down her throat or a pill. Sigh. It took two hours of trying before I could give her the fluids. She shrieked like she was being killed when I first tried to insert the needle this afternoon after ulpan. I need to have 9 lives myself because she scared at least two of them away when she did that. Then she struggled too much for me to try again. So I had to sit and wait and pet and try to calm. Try again. Screeeeaaaammmm. Shit. Wait, pet, wait. Touch her back (no needle in sight) screeaaaammm. aha. touch her paw. Screeeeaaaammm. Say her name. Screeeaaammm. You get the idea. The needle hadn't hurt her, she just didn't want to be touched.

Finally insert the needle, fluids are flowing, she isn't screaming, I'm petting and then SPROING --she tried to leap off the sofa from a completely flat laying position. I grabbed little miss mid-air kitty, terrified she was going to get really hurt (she had a sharp pointy object stuck in her after all that was connected to bag of fluids hanging on the wall). Remove needle, turn off the shooting water, release a struggling and trying to bite cat.

I have two 50 page articles to write and don't know when or how to get to them. I have unfinished ulpan homework and an essay (or maybe it is two) due in ulpan this week.

I did talk to the secretary (otherwise known as the Machshefa) at ulpan today about what courses will be starting when our bet class ends at the end of february. I asked about Gimmel, specifically. Wonder of wonders I actually spoke lucidly and easily and correctly when I was asking. Wonders did not cease there, however, because she was actually nice to me and called me motek and spent 10 minutes looking up schedules for me. There may be a new gimmel course in the evening if 10 or more people from our current bet class are interested and sign up. If not I can go into the existing Gimmel in the evenings taught by Gila (who I love as a teacher) but it is already way in full swing. There is also a bet plus that will start in the evenings in march. No new bet pluses or gimmels during the day until next september though. I actually think I'd do better with an evening class at this point since I can't ever get there on time in the mornings so insanely early.

oh yeah, I'm about to have 20 25-page papers in hebrew to read and grade. I'd say I may go out of my mind but that's not possible --my mind has long since gone.

Huge bright spot in my day: I have lovely, wonderful, delicious BOILED PEANUTS!! They came (thank you Frank!!!!) and customs did not explode them or eat them :) Ok, who wants to try some...? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home