Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Visit going pretty well, I think. When they arrived on Tuesday night they were almost 2 hours delayed waiting for the luggage to come out --about 8 flights had landed one after another because of the bad weather and the baggage people got overwhelmed. Then when we got to my apartment building we had no electricity. It was kinda funny, because as we pulled up I noticed first that the little convenience store downstairs was dark and they had been doing a lot of reconstruction work on their inside starting that morning. The employees were standing outside and I'm generally very friendly with them. I talked to them for a minute as the bags were coming out of the trunk and was like, wow you don't have any electricity. A second later we dragged the bags to my apartment's entry door and I opened it and discovered ...uh neither do we. I immediately assumed (bad me) that the folks doing the reconstructing work had done something to kill the electricity in our building (the store and our apartments do a share). So then I went over and yelled at them ...hey, wait, when are you getting this fixed? How long is it going to take? Ahem. Then they pointed out that all down our side of the street there were no lights and it wasn't their fault. Groan. There was some major power outage originating from Rishon Letzion that hit pieces parts of the city. So my bro and I dragged all the bags up 5 flights of stairs in the pitch dark. Then we had to walk 5 blocks to find a cafe with some food for them. Luckily by the time we got back the lights were all lit.

My mother has been all compliments about my apartment and how it looks. Wheeeeee! And the great suggestion of pouring boiling water on the floor and then mopping it up (I don't have a door to squeegie it out of) made a major floor difference. Thank you!!!

I took them to the shuk on Wednesday and then on Thursday they were on their own as I had to work all day in Beer Sheva. My mom has come down with a bad cold, however, so our plans for yesterday had to be modified. Instead of making a trip out of the city with some friends of mine with stayed in and walked around Sheinkin street and then had a very late lunch (4ish!) and then my mom was so tired that she just went to sleep. Last night my bro and I went to see Savta Dotty for some amazing apple pie and even more amazing conversation with the people there --it was 2:30 in the morning before we all knew it.

My mother thinks Tel Aviv is the ugliest place on earth. Actually, she said "Israel" because she has only seen Tel Aviv. I keep telling her that Israel is beautiful and there are beautiful places to live but I haven't been able to get her to any of them because she is sick. Sigh. My brother, on the other hand, seems to be liking it.

We are off to a clandestine Christmas party tonight composed of lots of us olim who grew up celebrating Xmas in the States and other originating countries along with our Christian neighbors, and lots of non-Jewish spouses who are living here and missing Xmas. Should be good fun!

We actually have a pseudo Xmas tree in my apartment --one that will stay up all year. It is a palm tree that I bought right before the family arrived and I put these adorable lights on it that look like lemons, so it is a lemon palm :)

1 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger haroldbrooks2679 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home