Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, December 30, 2005

This can be filed under random stuff :)

I have an office. This is both good and bad. The good thing is that I can bring tons of books (slowly) from my house to my new office; I can also meet with students without disturbing my colleague whom I was imposing on by sharing; It is big and nice :) The bad is that the pressure is mounting to come many times during the week --not easy to do when ulpan gets out at 1:00 (meaning if I manage to head straight for the train or bus I will get there around 4 and no one will be there when I arrive or, alternately, I can miss ulpan yet another day or days which will put me yet further behind on the old speaking and comprehending level).

I am going to a New Year's Eve party tomorrow and should be fun.

I spent 3 mind-numbing hours with my landlady tonight celebrating Shabbat and talking about her cat mainly and looking confused when she mixed hebrew with english with hungarian. I am actually really starting to worry about her; she is getting so old and in just the last month more and more unable to maintain a stream of thought.

I am sick of climbing the stairs. Did I mention that the elevator went out on the second day of the family visit and still isn't fixed, though there are two large bags of cement sitting outside my apartment (?) and a lot of noise was made yesterday and today with sounds of people working on something. Theoretically, they are fixing the elevator and the leak in the roof. Ummm hmmmm.

My apartment is less neat than it was before the family arrived, despite the fact that my Ema got down on her hands and knees and scrubbed my floor. It is cleaner but messy.

My bro is thinking of trying out living here for a year if he can get a one-year contract with a computer company. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss him and and my mother a lot. In fact, because this place is so family oriented, I miss them a lot more than I did when living in New York and other places even though I am seeing them more. Go figure.

It was an incredible feeling last night when I arrived at the train station and watched as three men lit the Menorah in front. Nowhere else does this happen. It was a "wow" I am really home feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home