Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, December 16, 2005

The family is arriving (tuesday) --what more can go wrong?

No, no, it is better not to even ask this question! So what has gone wrong so far? Well to start with, the weather. Yes, we are actually having usual winter weather, meaning it is raining and cold and supposed to get a lot colder. Of course, now. Now we get the winter after having glorious sunny, warm weather. It has to be now.

Then the rain today brought a flood into my apartment from under my front door. Seems there is some kind of trap-door thingy in the roof just outside my door that has a lot of holes in it and I felt kinda like Noah must have trying to keep the waters at bay. I was sitting on my couch and chanced to look up and toward the kitchen and was like, hmm why is water...holy cow, why is there a ton of water running into my kitchen!?

But I wasn't done with water problems, not by a long shot. I did some laundry and everything was fine. Then I decided to take a bath because I was freezing in my apartment and thought ahh a nice warm bath will do the trick. The bath was great. It was when I pulled the plug on the tub that I got to experience flood number 2. This time, sans clothes. Water literally shot the drain cover off the drain hole I didn't know I had in the bathroom and rapidly covered my bathroom floor. I quickly re-stoppered the tub but then stood there in a dripping quandry: just how much of the floor had been covered? Had the water, for instance, reached the "you can plug a millon appliances into me" electrical socket (only the washer and dryer are plugged into it) that sits on the floor behind said units? If so, if I step my little footsie on the floor am I going to be a crispy little cracker in about 2 seconds flat? Note to self: remove tennis shoes just outside tub from now on. After shivering there for a bit I decided that at least I'd be warmer if I was being electrocuted and I couldn't just stand there all night. Luckily it had not quite gotten that far but it was a close call. The floor is, 5 hours later, still sodden.

Now cold, again, I decided to flee my apartment for a warmer clime. Grabbing Harry Potter I headed to my corner cafe and had a nice warm coffee and, cozily warm, read and watched the rain until it stopped. Then I went and did a bit of grocery shopping and returned. Since I live on the top, 4th, floor, I went to the elevator rather than the stairs. Hmm, why is the glass in the outer door bulging out and shattered? Someone obviously tried to move a very large object unsuccessfully as far as the door was concerned. Not good, I'm thinking, if this isn't fixed it will so not make a good impression on my mother. Like so not. I hopped on in and the inner door shut and...we didn't go anywhere. Not only did we not go anywhere but the door wouldn't re-open. I pried, I banged, I pushed buttons. I pushed all the buttons. This would include the "emergency door open now" button. The door stayed shut. Finally, someone came in the building and, like a normal person came to the elevator and heard my banging and caterwauling. When they pulled on the shattered glass outer door, miraculously the inner door slid open and I was free --to climb 5 flights of stairs with two heavy bags of groceries!

Yep, preparations for the family are going well so far...oy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home