Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

You know you really are a social psychologist when ...you give a talk to a comm department and they don't know what the hell you are talking about and when it comes time for the q and a you feel like they are suddenly speaking a foreign language and you are running through the list...no, not german, not hebrew, not english oh wait, that was in english! My talk today sucked and I am not used to giving sucky talks. Part of the problem was being worried about and attempting to try to explain things in an easy-to-grasp way since the talk was in a foreign language for the audience --I failed at this. Also, in light of the email suggestion I got last night, I was trying to figure out and relate my psych stuff to comm. The problem is is that I really wouldn't know a comm theory if it fell on me. Ok that is a slight exaggeration but only slight. I've been working within psych and borrowing some from sociology for so long now that I really don't remember much of the theoretical stuff from a comm basis. Comm theory just didn't come anywhere close to explaining my findings and so I moved on to theories that did. Anyway, I failed at this too in the talk.

Ay my head hurts. I'll be uber-surprised if anything comes of this talk.
I did run into a really close friend of mine at the U and he was very excited about the possiblity of my being there (me too before the talk from hell but those hopes are kinda dashed now) and we are going to get together for coffee. Yay Ran!

Oh and when they took me to eat we were told we maybe shouldn't go into the faculty dining room because there had been a suspicious package or something left. We ignored them and went into a dining room full of people who were happily eating and also ignoring the suggestion to leave. We started on a salad and then the suggestion to leave became a get the hell out and so we had to find somewhere else to eat. I hadn't understood the first warning and just followed along when we went on in but I definitely understood the second one. Twas nothing, however.

Oh. I just realized that exactly one year ago to the day I arrived in Tel Aviv for my pilot trip, back when I was thinking "yes" but was by no means 100% sure, and was scared to death that maybe a "yes" would be the wrong thing. I had no idea just how good a thing a "yes" would turn out to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home