Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Sorry to freak people out --I got a slew of emails and a comment and a call from a friend in the States all saying, "you aren't giving your cats away?!" No, it was only a moment of wishful (bad Yael, bad) thinking. It was a comment along the lines of the one my mother used to say when I was a kid and she was fed up with me, "if you don't watch out I'm going to give you to the gypsies" --I wasn't afraid, of course, because for one thing I'd never seen a real gypsy and for another I thought that it'd be kinda fun. heh, I knew it was just her frustration and not a real threat. On the net though it is much harder to tell when someone is saying something and not really meaning it (basically just mean they are being made nuts by something --in this case me by my cats). So the horrid little beasts are stuck with me.

I'm giving myself a kol ha'kavod on the teaching as I, importantly, survived the experience and so did my students (mostly) and because talking afterwards with students I got a tiguvah micovedet (an acceptable/respectable response) to the lecture. They are panicking because they have to write their final paper in english. I was like hey, you each get to write 25 pages while I get to read 26 twenty-five page papers. Then I pulled out the letter from bezeq that I got earlier this week and still haven't sat down to translate after realizing it would be quite a lot of looking up of words. I waved the paper at them and said, it took me an hour to figure out this letter and it is only one page! That shut them up. Mostly.

The commute to Beer Sheva seriously sucks. It is half an hour -45 minutes to get to the station. The train only comes once an hour so if, like today, you miss the train by 30 seconds you have to wait another hour (good thing I was planning on getting there really really early --was taking the 1:08 train and don't teach until 6 but wanted to get a lot of other things done). Then it is an hour and a half on the train and then a 20 minute walk. Then, at night, when I finish teaching, I have to wait nearly an hour for the train and ...reverse everything except that the bus now only comes once an hour. But it is only twice a week :) I'm feeling punchy already on no sleep. Grin, by the time the girls pick me up tomorrow I should just be a riot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home