Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Ma zeh? What is that noise? Why it is rain! You know, the wet stuff that falls from the skies sometimes. I'd almost forgotten what it sounded and felt like. Today has been a reminder and one I didn't particularly want. Do you know how spoiled we are, living here in this country of nearly ever-lasting sun? At ulpan today everyone was complaining and murmuring in horrified tones, "what, rain? And I didn't bring my umbrella. Oh how awful." It was priceless, standing at the doorway of the ulpan when classes let out for the day and it was still coming down, to see the expressions on the other students faces, to count how many reached the doorway and took a distasteful step back before venturing out to get --wet. I was complaining right along with them. Mind you, it has been many moons since it has rained (beyond a one-time 10 minute sprinkling a couple weeks ago) in Tel Aviv --something like 6 months someone told me. It certainly hasn't rained a real rain since I've been here these two months and a bit. Yes, we Tel Avivis are spoiled --and we like it that way.

It is really and truly raining now. The rain woke me up last night (and given that I'd gone to bed so late I was so not happy) as the skies opened up and loudly splattered the streets. It kinda-sorta-rained during ulpan and mega-gushed briefly while I was eating lunch with a couple of the kewl chicks from ulpan. Then it cleared up and did not in the least spoil my shuk adventure. And the shuk is always an adventure. But now it is back and gushing, gushing, gushing away.

Further negative side-effect of rain (other than being cold and wet) is that my water has heated up today oh to luke-warmish. Solar heaters are awesome providing plenty of hot water generally but now I know why they aren't big sellers to folks in Seattle!

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my video to dvd site.
Have a great week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home