Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I'm wireless and boy am I loving it! I owe a huge thank you to Kat and her techno savvy fiance for my wireless good fortune --as well as for other life-saving measures :). Awesome people!

The holidays have been quiet for me. I've had to focus on doing a lot of work and a lot of writing (with a lot more writing on the schedule) and I'm finding that my hebrew is rapidly evaporating. I think it is worse now than it was when I first arrived if that is possible. I'm understanding more when I hear it but I'm able to speak less if that makes any sense. It doesn't help that I haven't had anyone to talk with in hebrew at all for the last two weeks, other than a few phone calls about the dsl when it was not working this past weekend --the splitter they gave me was bad and died after only 4 days of use -- and ordering coffees in cafes. And having to wrap my brain around lots of english, and scientifically-oriented writing no less, is really a hazard I think.

Today I plan to take a break in writing a chapter and preparing a talk to give tomorrow (can I just say now how much I really really hate giving talks? I'm fine once I get up on the stage but for weeks leading up to it I completely dread it and as the hours draw nearer I get so anxious about it I start to feel actually ill), and see if I can find a free blog site that will support hebrew and start a hebrew blog --but not for public consumption because uhh no one would want to read what I am able to write in this most difficult of languages. I used to love to write in a paper and pen diary but since using the computer so much I find that I prefer to put my thoughts down this way and maybe this will get me using new and needed words in a way that they will stick in my tiny little pea brain.

To my friends in New York --I'm sorry. I hear you are having COLD weather and I am gleefully still running about in tank tops. Ahh it is nice to have something to gloat about :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home