Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

a couple steps forward, a couple steps back

I got my cable today. The HOT guy (who was not hot) was nice enough to not only set up the cable but also to set up my DVD and VCR player. The good news is that the cable works great and the DVD player works awesomely and the VCR will play a video. The bad news is that the VCR will only play one video because it refuses to spit it back out. The nice cable guy spent 30 minutes trying to retrieve said video to no avail.

Second step forward was that I called to get my washer and dryer connected. The step back was that either the number I was given is wrong or, because my hebrew is so bad, they just hung up on me. Twice. So tomorrow I have to call Aryeh at ABC again and find out about the number and what to do about the non-ejecting video player. I can't call today because it is still the Chag in NY since they celebrate two days for our one here. this also means that I most likely won't be able to get hold of the washer connecting folks until Sunday because by the time I can reach NY and get the number everything will be closed here.

Third step forward with accompanying step back. I bought one of those kitty litterboxes this morning that has a litter doorflap they go through and a lid to keep the litter from scattering across the nation (not to mention containing odors). Hopa! But they won't go through the door. I think, after careful consideration, that this happy little litterbox resembles a cat carrier too much and they think if they go in they will end up not only locked in but when released maybe in Tazmania or someplace.

To top it off, I think I have fractured my collarbone. At least, that is what the Internet seems to be telling me. Sharp pain when the end of the left collarbone is touched, very sore shoulder, can't lift much with left arm (my heavy lifting arm!), dull pain in the collarbone area when I breath deeply or move my arm uh at all. Guess I didn't escape my trip down the basement stairs a couple days ago unscathed after all. Damn.

But last night I had a really nice evening. My landlady called and asked me to come for coffee and a light snack. She had actually called on Monday and wanted me to come celebrate the holiday dinner with them but I got the message too late. She is really sweet and very lonely. Her daughter is not very nice to her as I witnessed again last night which made things a tad uncomfortable if ya know what I mean. She sent me home, over my protests, with lots of goodies to eat. (Now if she'll just go ahead and replace the non-working fridge soon I won't be "too thin" and in need of goodies sent home...). Then I met up with Shlomi. We walked over to the electric plant and surroundings to have a coffee looking out at the ocean. This is the only country I can think of that would ever think of decorating the city electric plant (lots of pretty lights) and making the surroundings into a hip and happening place with lots of cafes, dance clubs, restaurants, etc. Pretty kewl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home