Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, October 07, 2005

Boxes, boxes everywhere. Under my bed are the closets I used in NY, one unput-together desk, the tv stand, and one bookcase. There are a lot of closets and cabinets in this apartment --some of them very useful. Others are simply monstrous headaches. Take, for example, the tv stand that was already in the apartment and which, sadly, cannot be tossed in the rubbish where it belongs (broken shelving inside it and all). It is low and takes up a full wall --about 7 feet long --and is U.g.l.y. and really non-functional for my needs (i.e., I want a bookcase there with my nice compact little tv stand next to it). The bookcase that is not under the bed is also not put together --I need a drill to hook it to the wall so it doesn't fall over and a boy to put it together in the first place. Sigh. So there are 20 boxes of books sitting there unable to be unpacked. The drill I can buy but the boy...:)

The kitchen is fully unpacked. I've been looking around for another kitchen box but alas cannot find one. Missing are my seder plates that are of absolutely no value to anyone but me because I made them myself at one of those paint-a-pot places years ago: one for each member of my family, individually decorated. Also missing are two glass serving platters (one not of any major value, the other passed down to me from my grandmother). Since I didn't pack any of the glassware I have no idea where they could be --I've opened all the boxes that I didn't pack myself :( I'm hoping that maybe there is another kitchen box buried under the book boxes in the living room.

My house is a disaster but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I need to choose a cable company and get cable (hmmm, to go with HOT or YES? any ideas anyone?) and to try to get an internet connection in the apartment. I'm also not sure who or what to go with. I've heard you can get net access through HOT or maybe I should go with Bezeq --I have no idea who offers the best deals or what the deals are. I do know that I want to get VOIP with it. I don't know if I want a land telephone --I really don't see a lot of point in it since I have a cellphone unless it is necessary for the VOIP.

I'm wondering if I'll every see my ulpan 5 days in a week. On Tuesday I'm told there is a departmental talk at noon at BGU and so I think I will be missing tuesday. I had to miss yesterday and last sunday as well. Frustrating.

I have a ton of work to do as well --editorial work, a chapter that is in press but needs to be page-proofed by Sunday, I need to revise my CV to the Israeli norm by Sunday, I need to send a syllabus for the class I'm teaching by Sunday, I have 7 chapters that I'm the editor for that are out for review and I need to find (what box, what box??) where I put the list of reviewers and write and scream that they need to send those to me pronto. That's just the "do or die" list. Oy, my head hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home