Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, September 11, 2005

you can't have everything...

but at least I have a shower now! Dmitri did not come as promised on thursday. Instead, he finally returned my gibbering bitching whining and otherwise yelling phone call at 2:30 in the morning. He swore up and down that he and his father would come on Friday at 4. And they did. Four hours later and after at least 50 years of disgusting black schmang from the depths of the drain on the floor in the bathroom had been washed around and through 3 rooms of the apartment, the drain was finally schmang free. The bathtub was able to drain! (And trust me, after I'd mopped the floors 3 times I definitely needed the shower!) I thought my landlords were russian Jews but it turns out that they are orthodox christians (catholic?) whose family has lived here for something like 7 generations. Abba of Dmitri seemed quite nice and fatherly --he looked to be about the age my own father should look and he invited me to come to dinner with the family for next Friday. I accepted. This was, however, before he a) informed me that, despite looking 60ish, he is in fact 43 b) that he is a widower and c)before he attempted to kiss me as I was sitting on the couch looking over one of my vocabulary lists. Scratch dinner with that particular mishpacha!

What I didn't get was the apartment. It was in the same building as the really fantastic one I saw before, owned by the same people, BUT was $50 more a month and 20 sq meters smaller than the other one. For those in the States, 20 sqm is a LOT. In others words, it was tiny. The advantage was the very large veranda (it is a rooftop apartment) but since my bed cannot be set up on the veranda --it would take up even the entire living room with no room to walk past it --it was a no-go. Argh!!! I was so disappointed I was literally almost in tears. I called my mother and terrified her --for some reason my calling gave her a shock and she figured something horrible had happened. But she tells me she's gotten over the shock. Hmmm maybe I should call more often and get her used to the idea that I can use the phone without it being an emergency of some kind.

I'm sitting at the Coffee Bean right now connecting for free! I discovered that the #18 comes right almost exactly to the Coffee Bean and this has made me an extremely happy camper.

I had my first haircut experience b'ivrit this morning. It was not a good one. The guy (he was russian) cut my bangs so that I look like an idiot from the 1950s. He tried to convince me to get dark brown streaks put in my hair because this is very popular here --actually, more popular is to have dark brown hair with streaks of blond but I guess he figured streaky is streaky and no matter the combination. I got a load of the skunk, er woman, he'd just finished streaking heavily right before me and declined. He obviously needs to go back to hairdressing school... or maybe go for the first time. I'll not be a regular at that particular salon. It definitely seemed convenient though as it was right next door to my apartment.

I have a ton of homework to do for tomorrow and I have a paper due on Wednesday (work work). I need to find a place to fax a copyright release document today (maybe hotels do this? haven't seen anyplace advertising faxing services) or a finished paper won't get published. I'm skipping my swim today (waaaaaaa) in order to work on the paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home