Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, September 19, 2005

What a day. It started for me at 5 a.m. Yep, 5 a.m. I love my new bet class. The teacher is fantastic, it is already fun having Kat in the same class and I was completely psyched about going again today. So psyched that I got up at 5 a.m. and was out the door at 6 a.m. This is because yesterday, when I hit the bus stop in Yaffo at a quarter to 7 I stood there wringing my hands until 7:40 watching first the 18, then the 25, 26, and 8 pass by the stop, crammed with people, without so much as slowing down. Then it happened again. So after the second 26 sped on by, I stuck out my hand. 30 shekels later I was at the ulpan about 2 minutes early. Whew!

Today I was determined to be 30 shekels heavier and I was. the only problem was that I got a bus and made good time and got there more than an hour early. The coffee shop on the corner was closed but there was another little cafe just up the road that was open and so I popped in, ordered some real coffee (yummmmm) went over my homework and tried to read the newspaper we'd been given the day before (ya know the big people kind with no vowels,eeek). Just as I was preparing to mosey on down to class my phone rang. It was the lawyer for my hopefully new landlady. He called to say that they'd need to do a thorough credit check on the guarnantors I need to provide and ascertain that they have in fluid money enough to cover my years rent plus additional in case I were to do damage to the apartment. Well, I don't know about you guys but I don't know many (ok probably any) with that kind of fluid capital. This is the land of overdraft living! He did say that if the university would sign a letter of guarantee for the costs he would accept that in lieu of 2 individuals...could I find out and get back to him this morning? Sure. Bye ulpan.

So then I was on the phone back and forth between the university and the lawyer. the university is happy to provide me with a letter stating I'm employed but not to do the guarantee. They'd do a guarantee if the apartment were in Beer Sheva --and it was pointed out that I could have an entire house there for 600 a month (but there is a reason for that!). So I finally negotiated paying the full years rent upfront plus an unspecified (to be determined tomorrow) amount. Then I had to go to the bank and pick up checks and find out about how to get money transferred from my bank back in the states to the one here. Then I had to go to the lawyer's office to pick up a draft of the lease --that puppy is like 7 pages! He wanted me to have a lawyer read it before the meeting tomorrow but I don't see the point of that since he said a lot changes will be made to it tomorrow.

Then the nice part of my day happened. I was supposed to attend a tea party in honour of John (shalom Israel blog) coming into town but sadly (sniff sniff) he couldn't come after all. I still was treated to wonderful tea by Savta Dotty and got to meet two of her friends, both very kewl people. D in particular was really great and had me in stitches several times. And having Jennie the wonder dog curled up next to me on the sofa was a real treat :)

So now I am at the net cafe, about to finish a paper and send it off and then head over to get Natan to translate this monstrosity of a "not the real thing yet" lease. then I'm going to fall over because tomorrow at 5 a.m. my alarm clock will ring...

P.S. The date got 2 thumbs up :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home