Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Vengeance is mine! Don't you just love it when you prove you are right and get your way?! My proof came with a cost, however, --more than 4 hours of my time! I arrived at ulpan this morning at 8:00 sharp ready to argue with the best of them and get into the bet class. This meant getting up at 6 a.m. (not easy since I had hung out chatting with a friend until nearly 2 a.m. before we noticed the time!). I should have slept in!

When I got there the secretary oh so helpfully sent me upstairs to talk to some woman who then looked at me like I had two heads when I told her I needed to know which bet classroom I should go to. She sent me back downstairs. The second secretary then tried to send me back up to her but luckily the woman came down herself and was like, "how should I know what class she should be in, that isn't my job!" So then I was told to wait to talk to the principal. So I waited. And waited. 9:00 came and went. The 10:00 break came and I chatted with Katherine who also was trying to get into bet. Then, next thing I know, there is Katherine sitting in the principal's office. I waited just outside the door and when the door re-opened Katherine beckoned me to come in quick. It still didn't work. The principal unceremoniously kicked me out of her office with (for the 5th time that morning) a lot of waving of the hands and "just a few minutes." Finally, finally at a quarter of 12 she beckoned me inside. I explained again that aleph plus was too easy and I needed to be in bet. She was like, "ridiculous, far too advanced for you." I was like noooooo (actually more like NO IT IS NOT --my temper was rather high after all that waiting and missed hours of lovely sleep). So then she wanted to know how I did on the test. I informed her that she had informed me, last week, that I didn't need to take the test and that I could "find the class that fit me by trying several of them out." But fine, I'll take the test if that will help.

So I took the test.

Fast forward 25 minutes later and I, and my test, are back sitting in her office. She grades it. Oh dear... I missed ...only one on the entire test and I'd noted the correct answer in the margin (couldn't remember if the nun dropped out or not in the future tense of a particular verb --it does). She informed me that I can't talk my way out of a paper bag (in essence) but that I have excellent reading, writing, and comprehension and so I do belong in bet. Voila, finally (!) I have my permission paper to attend the bet class. It meets only 3 days per week and (lovely lovely happy happy) it starts at 9 a.m. instead of 8:15! Someone had just been in to see her and gotten the last spot in the everyday-bet class. Hmmm wonder who that could be? :) In a month, she said, I should come back and talk to her and she will get me into the full-week bet. Ahem, I'm not holding my breath on that one --5 hours of non-breathing as I waited would surely be the end of me! It would definitely be the end of her.

Hopefully the bet class will prove more challenging.

On another note, it is hot as in HOT. I'm pouting that I can't go in for a swim because I had to bring my laptop with me to do some work (ahhh yes, I remember something about real work once upon a time :) and I can't just go leave my computer sitting unattended at the beach while I indulge in cooling myself off. Depending on what time I am meeting with the other olah this afternoon I might #25 home, deposit the laptop, and zip back to splash about for a while. Mighty tempting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home