Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Today was a "free" day for me --no ulpan. I spent the morning doing laundry and calling about apartments. Then I went to the shuk and picked up two skirts --got a super deal on them (talked the guy down 10 shekels :) I love the shuk! Then to the bank and for a swim.

Looking forward to the bet class tomorrow. Yesterday the class was a good one. I found it a nice mix of things I already know and new material so I think I will defintely get something out of it. I do really wish it was 5 days a week though because I soooo need the language. I might look into doing some private lessons in addition or something along those lines. I get so frustrated because I constantly find I don't have a word or even any idea how to express things.

Remember that great apartment I found that didn't fly because they don't allow pets? Well, it is listed again on homeless and so I called again today. The woman, I think, recognized me because she said almost immediately they don't allow pets. I pretended not to recognize her and was like oh what a shame. I have a cat (heh notice the foot in the door of 'a" cat) and she is very old and sleeps all day long, are you sure you wouldn't make an exception? Then she kind of wavered and said, well they wouldn't want pets disturbing the neighbors. Oh, well, my cat is an indoor-only cat so they wouldn't even know she was there...I mentioned that I had seen the most beautiful apartment on Geula before and was still looking because nothing I had come across had compared to this great apartment. What a great location, I so would love to live on this street...The upshot is that I should come see the apartment on Friday and if I want it to call her immediately.

Could it be that fate really has that apartment in store for me?! It really is true that I have used that apartment as a measuring stick for all the other apartments I've seen and only one has come into that ballpark (actually, that one was even nicer but not by much). The one sticking point would be if the washer/dryer hookup doesn't function in this apartment --I think I remember the guy who was living there saying he didn't think it worked. That would be a major downer.

Ahhhh I need advice from all you olim and native Israelis out there :) I have to sign up for a health insurance/program (keep forgetting about doing that) and I have no idea which of the four --I think it is four choices--available providers is the best. Which one gives the best coverage and treatment? How satisfied are you guys with the one you are with and have you tried others and found them unsatisfactory? All the nice little pamphlets I got from them of course claim they are the very best blah blah but I wanted advice from the actual customers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home