Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Today has been such a better day than yesterday. Yesterday kita bet was kicking me in the pants but today ahhhh today lightbulbs lit, I understood (is she maybe talking more slowly suddenly?) nearly everything she said and life was so much better. I wasn't late. In fact, I was nearly 20 minutes early. Take note of this because it is a historical first! It is going to go down in some history book somewhere "and on the 7th of September, 2005 Yael was not late to something."

I spent 6 hours studying yesterday after class --after I'd had the shocking experience of finding out that 'oh my G-d, I actually got what a wished for and should have been more careful in the wishing!' I re-wrote all my class notes, created special vocabularly lists and did the homework. And this morning I did not forget my homework at home (unlike yesterday which added to my bad experience especially after getting fussed at by ha'morah) because I went out and bought a binder to put all the loose papers she gives us in and a different notebook (I had two identical ones at home and grabbed the wrong one yesterday in my sleep-deprived haze) for my class. It made a major difference. I was practically skipping around by breaktime I was so happy to be understanding.

After ulpan Kat and I went to the beach --much nicer beach right by the ulpan than the one I've been going to! --and bobbed around in the lovely warm and gentle (today) ocean. Then we grabbed a bite to eat and I came here.

Tonight I will hopefully get a working shower. Yes, the bathtub drain is still broken and I can't keep borrowing friends' showers everyday --talk about a way to wear out your welcome and friendship fast! The landlord (Dmitri) has been swearing daily that he will come to fix it and I finally pidgeon-holed him last night and was like, look either you fix it or I'm going to arrive on your doorstep to use your shower every day until it is fixed and don't think I won't do it! So he comes at 7 tonight. This is kinda a bummer because there is supposed to be a kewl parade thing on Dizengoff tonight at...you got it, 7 pm. So no parade for me :( Beseder, I want that shower working and I want it working NOW.

Oh a nice thing happened this morning. Since I was so very early I was able to pop into the little cafe close to the ulpan and get a kaffe afuk to go. But the guy didn't have change for my 100 shekel note so he was like, "beseder, come back later and I'll have change then, I trust you." He trusts me. He's never seen me before today in his life! Well, so of course I came back during my break at ulpan to pay him. I ordered another coffee to go and when he was ringing it up he'd obviously forgotten about the first one and I had to say, 'hey wait you have to also add in the coffee from this morning!' This you don't get in the States!

Tomorrow I see the apartment again and I really am hoping that I'll get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home