Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

If I haven't found an apartment by Friday, I am going to tell the folks in Yaffo that I will stay for the year and do a contract with them. I've almost gotten my hands on 2 really great apartments since sunday but had the people just ahead of me take it and tried to get my hands on a couple of others but the landlords won't rent to olim --they consider us too great a flight risk, even when I offered to pay them 10 months rent in cash in one fell swoop (which I really don't want to have to do). Both stipulated that I had to have a relative here in this country to co-sign. Well since I happen to be levad this is not an option :( I had managed to convince myself all day today that I would be happy being in the apartment in Yaffo for one year --it is really big, much bigger than almost anything I've seen in Tel Aviv, and only $400 a month so I'd be saving between $2400-3,000 in rent for the year which is nothing to sneeze at. Believe me. Sigh, then I walked down Ibn Givrol to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and was like but waaaaaahhh I'm spoiled and I wanna live right here!

If I do end up taking the place in Yaffo then when my mother and brother come to visit in December I will put them up in a hotel instead of them staying with me, at least for the first week they are here. I want them to have a good and accurate impression of what it is like to live here (as opposed to what it is like in Yaffo, lol --they'd be like, excuse me you moved to this country why?) and I know that first impressions are really important. Plus, they'll need to be able to get out and about without my having to go with them everywhere, at least until they get a feel for the place, and they can't do that from Yaffo. They need to be able to wander and explore (and for my mother get back to a place to rest easily if needed), take walks on the beach, etc etc.

The biggest problem I have with finding an apartment is not being able to get online regularly during the day to check for new listings. When I get out of ulpan, most of the places that listed in the morning or late the night before are already gone and I don't usually have time to check and call them before the ulpan. So I have to keep popping back into the net cafe all afternoon to check for new ones and try to see them ande so often don't get home until quite late with lots of twiddling my thumbs in between. Often I'm just too tired to do it. You want me to come see an apartment at 8 p.m.? Well, I've been away from my apartment and at loose ends since 7 a.m and when I do get there the person who walked in the door right ahead of me will have snagged it (or it is a disaster area) or they won't rent to me...I don't think so.

I'm whining and I know I'm whining and I really need to just stop it.

Update: I have a better reason to whine --the apartment in Yaffo is not an option. Cousin of the landlord wants it.

Good news of the day though: I don't have to start teaching until Nov 3rd. YES!

update 2: I'm having a good day after all because tomorrow I get to meet Savta Dotty!

1 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home