Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Elohim sheli. This apartment I moved to temporarily in Yaffo is way the heck way way far from the center of town. Did I say Yaffo? It is almost in Bat Yam. And there is nothing around this apartment but other apartments for a good 20 minute walk (that I've been able to find. Believe me, I looked). Well actually that isn't true --there is a hair salon and a flower shop and a little kiosk place about 4 blocks away. The apartment itself is really nice, except for having to keep the windows shut because of the cats and so hot. Well, that I can deal with. But I'm going to go out of my mind with no tv, no internet, and electrical outlets that don't, for some reason fit my adapter so I couldn't connect the computer or the ipod. I'm studious but not that studious and staring only at my hebrew notes, the walls, and the cats evenings is going to quickly drive me nuts.

The apartment I saw last night was really cute --right next to Dizengoff Center but, although listed as available immediately they lied and it doesn't come open until Oct 1st. Noooooo, I want something miyad. I want something yesterday. I want out of Yaffo :)

I saw something very disturbing today that made me scream, literally. These men were making a horse pull a cart with hay bales on it as well as like 4 guys laying on the cart. The guy leading the horse was beating it mercilessly. The more he beat on this horse, the more it shied and didn't want to go. The horse was underfed, it had patches of hair rubbed off its sides and big welts from being hit with the leather strap he was using. Then, THEN he hit the poor beast with that strap right in the face. I came screaming up the street, shrieking 'tafsik, ze lo nachon! Ze lo nachon!" I couldn't think of anything else to scream. They laughed. I wanted to scream that I was calling the police but I couldn't remember how to say that (note to self, learn that phrase so it comes automatically even under pressure). They made little shooing motions at me and were saying something to me (probably mind your own damn business) but I just kept yelling ze lo nachon at them. I grabbed my phone and made as if I was dialing (note to self: learn the police number --not that I could explain what was going on if I knew it, but I should know it for other emergencies). Finally the poor horse went and the guy beating it jumped on the cart too and off they disappeared. I was shaking with fury and just literally felt sick. How anyone can treat an animal that way, I just can't understand. I wanted to grab that strap and beat on the guy and see how he liked it. I wanted the poor horse to kick him to timbucktoo. I wanted to cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home