Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The woman who owns the apartment I fell in love with yesterday called and said it was mine if I wanted it but...no cats allowed. I could have cried. But, beseder,
there are other apartments. Then I found, I hope, the apartment. As in the apartment. There are two problems, however (oh, wait, 3). First is that it is not
available until Sept 20th and so this means a lot of expense staying in the hotel until then.

Second problem is the bank account. You have to have a bank account already
in order to rent because you have to have the bank sign some insurance form (for like 20,000 NIS), not to mention being able to pay for the first two months
(one month security deposit like in the States) with an Israeli check and not an American one and not US cash, plus the ability to give them your checking account number so they can auto-remove the funds (I think that is what he said
--it was all b'ivrit) for the rent every month after signing the contract. So tomorrow I go miyad (immediately) to a bank and open an account. I only brought 1k in cash with me though to
open it with (had planned to bring along 3k until Michelle terrified me
about what if I lost it) and so I think I need to get my brother to wire me money to it immediately and then send him
a check because I called my bank about having money wired and they said they can't wire without me being there in person to request it. Great. So even if he wires early
morning his time, it won't get there until Friday morning and another day is lost before I can close the deal.

Third problem --what if they say no pets at the last? This is absolutely the most awesome, stunning apartment. I was salivating as I walked through it. I knew I wanted it
well before I hit the living room and kitchen, much less the balcony and off-the-balcony room for the laundry (not even mentioned in the ad!). It is a gargantuan
apartment, by Israeli, New York, or any standards. It is right on Allenby yet, because it faces the back, it is quiet. Sunlight floods it. It has a bathtub and not just any bathtub but a big old-fashioned one you can lay down in! It is
amazing. Beautiful tile floors. Clean, newly painted. My mother could come here and not freak out (unlike my NY apartments, heh). Getting a non-freakout-the-Ema
apartment is of serious importance (hi Lynne, I know you are reading this and thus can see your daughter is being very careful here about choosing the apartment
for your benefit!). I think I've mentioned that my mother (hi Lynne!) is an exact replica of Aunt Josephine from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. So I am
on the lookout for an Aunt Josephine proof apartment and nothing else will do! This apartment will definitely pass Aunt Josephine muster :)

P.S. I tried to upload pics of my aliyah but blogger wouldn't cooperate. In lieu of that, I'll leave you with this little treasure of a comment I just got when I checked my email from my mother: "With the traffic problems in Israel, not too advisable to be running around on a scooter. You have ADHD and therefore do not recognize risks. You haven't changed since you ran off in the park and fell down a ravine at age 8 months." I laughed so hard when I read this that everyone in the net cafe turned around and stared. I love my mother! I really and truly love her and she always keeps me smiling (or on the floor giggling :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home