Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, August 20, 2005

I'm sitting in the hostel down the street from my hotel typing away and listening to the TV playing the music video for the song "build me up buttercup" which is reminding me of my last night in NY spent out caterwauling away. Buttercup was one of the only ones we all scored highly on on the caterwaul-o-meter, heh. Missing Michie, Sonia, and Chanel and wishing they were here to see how great it is.

I'm finally feeling rested. Yesterday I slept for a full 12 hours when I fell into bed and last night I got a good 8 hours of sleep. I'm starting to feel human again.

Yesterday I got the paper and started looking at the apartment listings. While I was sitting at the cafe a guy came and sat down at the table next to me and started talking (mostly in english). He volunteered any help he could give with translating the apartment listings and then said that he has a 3 room apt that will be available on Sept 7th for $600 if I'm interested. That is a bit more than what I'd like to pay --$600 is my absolute upper limit--but it is also one more room than I was thinking I'd be paying for, so I said yes indeed I'd love to see it. So tomorrow I'm going to take a peek at it. I'm also going to be on the phone calling all the listings that look decent in the paper in the morning. (In the afternoon I need to go to Jerusalem to get my teudat zehut).

This guy, Ammon, was really nice and we talked for an hour. After I'd finished my coffee he suggested I might want to go for a swim with him? Sure, I said, so off we went to the beach. We went to the Yaffo beach which doesn't have a shover galim [<--new word!]and so the waves were HUGE and very powerful. I think I would have drowned (I'm not a great swimmer) if he hadn't grabbed hold of my hand (and a couple times literally tossed me into the air above a huge crashing swell) when the big ones came in. It was exhilarating. He then invited me to dinner and I accepted. He cooked a really nice meal and we watched a movie at his apartment before saying goodnight. Turns out he is the uncle of a tele nova star, Hadass. I'd never heard of her but after seeing the portfolio of her modeling pictures he proudly brought out and watching a bit of one of her shows, I have to say she is one gorgeous and talented kid. And you couldn't find a prouder uncle. He seems like a really nice and interesting person and has a sad story but has really pulled through and has a very positive outlook on life. I like that :)

Today is going to be a day of rest in many ways. I'm going to walk along the beach, get some kitty food for some of the really hungry streetcats (I saw one last night that was so skinny I couldn't believe it could still walk, and I hope to find it again today to feed), and just generally relax. I'm meeting friends for dinner tonight. Storing up my reserves for figuring out how to get to Jerusalem and then find the right place once I get there to get my teudat zehut tomorrow.

(Hmm, for some reason this is not showing up? Trying again)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home