Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, August 15, 2005

I'm on my last day in New York and I haven't ended my next-to-last day yet. I'm cleaning the bathroom --have been for the last hour. I can't believe how disgusting it is and this I can only blame on myself (and the heat). I generally am extremely particular about my bathroom being really really really clean. It is the only room in the house that I demand uber-cleanliness of but not of late. Shudder. I have actually been showering at a friend's house since the day the mover's came.

Today was an emotionally draining one. I thought, during this break, that I'd write about it but I am too tired and too...emotionally drained. I will say only this. I spent 5 hours today I didn't really have but needed to take with my very dear friend Buzz. He gave me a necklace that he has had since he was a child --it has the ten commandments inscribed on the pendant in white gold and they are surrounded by the Shield of David all in a gold circlet. On the back, his name is inscribed. He said, "whenever you are feeling sad, or lonely, or having a stressful day get this out, hold it and know I am thinking of you...and then CALL me." Heh. I did better than that: I put it on the same chain that holds the Shield of David my maternal grandmother gave me for my Bat Mitzvah/graduation from college (I finally did it in my last year at Tulane.. hey I was a slow maturer :) and the little birthstone pendant my paternal grandmother gave me for my 7th birthday (actually, I lost the birthstone out of its little clasp sometime this past year but I'm still wearing the empty clasp :( I never ever ever take that chain from my neck. But I don't need a pendant or a anything else to keep these loved ones in my heart and my thoughts. They are there all the time. And Buzz is there too, whether I am here in NY, in Germany during all these many past summers, or at home in Israel in just two days from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home