Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, August 29, 2005

I sound like I'm dying: sinuses make me talk like dis, deep cough developing. I feel great :) Was up early and got moving. Hit the Misrad ha'Klita --wasn't feeling up to it yesterday --and conducted the entire process in baby hebrew. I gave them my banking information, got some pamphlets, set up a follow-up appointment for Sept 4th, and got the registration slip for Ulpan Gordon. I was so proud that I got a compliment on my hebrew from the woman there. Then I walked over to Ulpan Gordon and spoke with the people there: my hebrew completely escaped me. I was like uhhhhh. Don't know why I do that whenever I feel like I'm being sized up (as I was --what level to put her in?). They are starting me in ulpan bet but may move me up if it proves too easy. It is back to school again tomorrow at (gulp) 8:15 a.m. I haven't gotten up regularly or gone to a class that early since I was in beit sefer! Definitely going to be a shock to my little system, heh.

I'm prepared. Bought a new notebook, am going to pack my bookbag tonight with dictionary, pens, pencils. I'm excited. I'm terrified. :)

I'm watching the news like a hawk: this hurricane bearing down on my old hometown is making news even on the hebrew news channels. Just heard from my brother that my father, sister and step-mother have headed inland and so are out of danger. Whew.

Now back to the regularly scheduled apartment hunting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home