Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gone. All gone. (Almost)

They came. Three hours early. I had just finished my blog entry. Michelle emerged from slumber and we discussed what needed to be done. We were shooting for everything to be ready for 9:30 so that I could have time to take a shower before they got here and make a quick visit to Starbucks (across the street) for coffee. When I called Strand yesterday they gave me a firm 10:30 with the slight possibility they could get here by 10. So Michelle and I finish up dividing up the list of to-do's between us when bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the buzzer rang. We looked at each other. it couldn't be? It was 7:45 a.m. But it was. We were not ready. We were sooooo not ready.

I let them in and then we corralled the cats in the nothing goes room. Then we ran around like crazy girls disconnecting laptops and grabbing clothing and other miscellaneous objects that were hers or mine but not going (definitely not going) and shoving them into the "nothing goes" room. But the cats wanted to go...out. So that room was abandoned for depositing things and we turned to the bathroom. Empty boxes for the fans (not going) my keyboard and a wide variety of other objects made their way into the bathroom (and eventually, when a mover needed to use the loo into the bathtub!) We were sealing half-full boxes. The movers were merrily moving boxes and grabbing anything in their way to wrap and take. I removed I don't know how many objects out of their hands before they made it out the door. I missed I don't know how many. Loose papers and things like that they simply put on the floor. It took them 5 hours to get everything down the stairs and into the truck. Then it was off to the office for the things there.

When we got there we discovered that most of the boxes had falled over in the truck. they had to repack while one of the guys went up with me to get the office things. The head moving guy had scared me when they were doing the original packing by saying there was so much stuff in the truck that it was going to be two cratefuls and not one and so I said, don't take the chair, don't take the rug, etc. When I got back down and they refinished packing, the stuff took up only half the truck! I am hoping this means only one crate. The guy from Strand had come out to my apartment to see what was there and I detailed exactly what was in the office, he also budgeted in a fridge, stove and dishwasher (which I didn't get). He said one crate easy. But now I am nervous. I'll find out on Friday when I go out and they seal the shipment into a crate (or, shudder, crates). I hope my dishes didn't break when everything fell over.

Then I had to go run errands and go to a goodbye get-together hosted by my hebrew meetup. (was really fun and, quite unexpectedly, they treated me to dinner). I had a really good time. Chanel is over tonight visiting and we are watching a movie. I'm trying to be civil but, on no sleep, I can barely keep my eyes open! I'm not going to last much longer tonight for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home