Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Feeling somewhat better now and managed to get a good bit more stuff done:

Ziplock bags for self and those who requested, check.
Windows installed on computer, Check.
Ipod installed on computer, check.
Chest packed with bedding, check.
Two boxes of miscellaneous things packed, check.
Things still needing to go into a box (maybe 2 more?) set out in a pile, check.
Refridgerator cleaned out and ready to stock with sodas and waters for the movers, check. (this was a seriously gross experience. I found x-roommate dead vegetables in the back of the fridge in a shape I won't even try to describe. Sm_el_ly!)
5 pounds of Starbucks coffee beans purchased and packed into a box, check.

The Starbucks purchasing was a really nice experience. I went in and the guy looked at me and said, "you want a lot of coffee, right? 5 pounds?" I was like, right, 5 pounds will do it. He did a double-take and said, "seriously? I was just joking!" So I asked for one pound ground (for now) and the others to stay whole bean since they are going to be in the lift for who-knows-how-long. He ground my pound of french roast (nothing beats French roast!) and then asked if it was ok if the other four pounds came in their original big bag rather than in separate little bags. Yep, sure thing. Then I noticed, however, that it was not being sealed very tightly. Er, could you seal that really well, I asked, and then explained that it was going to be shipped overseas to a country that doesn't have starbucks. After he got over his amazement at the fact that there could be a country without Starbucks, he said, "you know, why don't I just give you a full five pounds in an unopened bag?" I was like, perfect that will work. Then, as he handed me the big bag of coffee I reminded him that I needed to pay for that additional pound he'd just given me. "Oh no, just consider it a Starbuck's gift for a deprived good customer." Wow. Thanks!

Tomorrow I have the office to finish (just one more box there and to bring home the big framed posters because the movers don't want to pack anything glass at the office). I need to majorly clean one of the electric litterboxes and pack it. Need to pack the rest of the bathroom cabinet. Need to take apart the little desk in my room and the desk for the desktop computer in the living room.

The guy downstairs (the interesting old codger who is recycling obsessed) has agreed to take the media cabinet!!!! He didn't think he'd have room for it --his apartment is one of those places with piles of old newspapers and G-d-knows-what-else piled to the ceiling and only little walkways available between piles of things. But, when I told him I was going to get a saw and disembowel the darn thing in order to get it out and gone, he couldn't stand the thought. I found a little note from him this morning saying, "I'll take it. I'll even pay the movers to bring it downstairs to me." Well, obviously, I will pay the movers a bit extra to bring it down to him. I might buy him flowers or something too as a show of my undying gratitude that he is taking it! Actually, I do plan to buy him something nice before I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home