Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Early this afternoon, while I was sitting in the hostel with the Internet connections emailing my mother, someone from Misrad Ha'Klita called me. It was an important call. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what the woman told me. First, it was loud in here and I could barely hear. I ducked up some stairs trying to get to a quieter spot, with some success.

She was like (b'ivrit), do you speak hebrew?
Me, "kzat aval lo tov" --a little but not well
She: "At medeberet Anglit?" --You speak english?
Me: "Ken"
She: Ani lo mederet Anglit. --I don't speak English.

Then, in a rush of hebrew she told me I need to come ????? in order to do ???? and I need to ????? Beseder? Ok Bye.

Right at the time she hit beseder I was like "lo beseder, rak rega!" Not ok, just a minute! Wait! But no. She rang off. Hmmmm. Hmmmm???????

In order to keep the Misrad Ha'Klita police from coming for me, tomorrow I've got to a) find out where the heck the Misrad Ha'Klita is located and b) try to find out what they want/need. A is definitely going to be easier than B.

I had my first (and successful) post office experience today. First, found the post office (grrr right across the street from the fantastic apartment that I didn't get) and sent a registered letter to the States and bought some (5) New Year cards --needed the envelope to mail the check to Strand. Was surprised that all together it only came to 17,70 NIS. Wow, not bad!

Had a tour of Yaffo on a scooter this afternoon. Amos the Architect called and asked if I wanted to go see the old city (why do all the guys I meet want to show me Yaffo?) and have a cup of coffee. So at 4 we met and set off. Riding on the scooter was really fun (kef meod!) and Yaffo was just as pretty as it was when I saw it yesterday with Natan (heh). The coffee was good. It was really interesting hearing about the architectural development of T.A. and surrounding areas. Amos was well-behaved all the way until we said goodbye and then he attempted to octopus and suck face. I was like, ahem, I don't suck face on a first date, heh. Yeah, ok, I'm a prude. He said he'll call and we should get together again. Maybe he will and maybe we will but I've put him on my "possible-to-very-likely shark" list.

Going now to check out the homeless.co.il site again. Only a couple of new listings earlier and neither of the two in my price-range sounded good when I called about them. Hopefully there will be more for me to look at tomorrow!

Oh yes, in my 20-minute dip in the sea today I got a mini-ulpan lesson from a 9 1/2 year old and gave her a mini-english lesson in return. She was adorable. I want one of those. Where do we order them from again?

1 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger mia said...

I really enjoy your content on internet connections and will be back very frequently! I actually have my own internet connections secrets blog with all kinds of secret stuff in it. You're welcome to come by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home