Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, August 04, 2005

bone tired but satisfied

The end of the packing is so close I can almost smell it. (In this heat, you can certainly smell me!) 5 more days available to pack because the movers come at 8 a.m. on Tuesday. I feel like I've never done anything in my life other than sort things and put them in boxes. Label boxes. Unpack boxes (oops I still need that thing and it was in one of these boxes here or no here...) and then repack them again. Move them around. I stayed up all night last night in a packing and filing frenzy then slept for two hours and headed out for the office to do the same.

I've tossed every journal I've collected over the years (errr, yes that is something like 2500 of them). Anything published in a journal in the last 20 years is available online and so who needs paper? (I will regret this I am absolutely sure --you can't just flip through the online journal listings and go, "oh yes, this article here is so relevant and just what I needed to include to make point X" like I do all the time with those journals.) But they are bulky and heavy and I am not going to have room most likely for me and the cats much less 2500 journal issues. Bye. I also threw away (recycled) the journals I'd been bequeathed that were older than 20 years and this I will definitely regret --way hard and inconvenient to get your hands on articles in those if you don't already have the journal. But I'm getting Israeli tuff --I can manage to walk myself over to a real library, heh. Scary thing is, I haven't been inside a library for research purposes in 15 years!

Another 3 boxes will finish the office (I only left when I ran out of tape and discovered I'd single-handedly filled the "mixed paper recycling" bin to above the brim); 6 boxes stand ready there for the movers --today most of what I did was sorting and mainly tossing and so it will be with the rest of the stuff there. I hope the data police don't come after me because I tossed the hard copies of several studies that still have a year of "you have to hang onto it still" pending on them. But good l-rd, one of the studies had 2,000 plus participants each of whom filled out 24 pages of information.

Another 5-6 boxes will finish the apartment. Then I just will have to take all the file collections off all the computers in my labs, office and home onto the big external hard-drive, take apart 5 pieces of furniture, pray the salvation army will actually pick up the heavy stuff (like the monster media cabinet that got up the stairs but the movers said they didn't think it would ever come out again!).

I'm sweaty, sporting 4 bruises that weren't there yesterday, and very happy with myself.

Less than 2 weeks, I can't believe it. 12 days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home