Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, August 22, 2005

Alright, American girl here is experiencing slight apartment shock. Ay yi yi, I've seen only 2 apartments but they are soooo different from ones in the States. The bathrooms in both for instance: no shower stalls just a shower head standing directly next to the toilet and not enough room in the bathroom to shake a cat in. Light fixtures not exactly in the ceiling but rather hanging down by wires. Needs to be painted. Small --the total space of 3 rooms being smaller than my one bedroom apartment in NYC and definitely smaller than the 2 bedroom. How must someone moving here from outside of Manhattan feel?!

The 3-room I saw this morning (the one the guy Ammon showed me) was slightly better than the first one I saw only because it has a keypad sign-in door to the building. The couple that saw it with me were like, this is great (except for the bathroom and about that the girl said to the guy that it was "no'ra"). They said they'd let him know by 1 if they want it. He said he'd give me first dibs and to let him know around noon. I just do not know. I don't feel like I've seen enough places (two is not exactly a lot). When I saw the first one I was like noooo way. Now, with this one being about the same condition-wise I'm thinking hmmm. What to do.

I have a lot to write about my day yesterday (I met John of the blog Shalom Israel in Jerusalem and he is such a sweetheart!!! And adorable!) but it is going to have to wait. I'm calling about a new listing in homeless.co.il and want to see if I can see it like now to have a bit more of a comparison. A guy a "know" through a friend of a friend has an apartment in Yaffo that is 70 sq meters and only $400 and I am supposed to see it this afternoon. But it is in Yaffo for G-dssakes.

Bang, bang, bang. Yes, that was my head finding a wall :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home