Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Aliya-itis (heh thanks for letting me know what this is called!) is kicking my tachat. Yuck. I am so not a good sick person. I really like to whine and moan :)

Yesterday was a quiet day for me. I ventured to the beach for a short period in the late afternoon and sat in the shade mostly, but did go in for a short dip. Just before I was getting ready to leave I heard a loud bang and jumped a mile. I looked around, along with everyone else, and we saw the police had cordoned off the street and there was smoke drifting along the beach. Then another bang, bang and more smoke. The robot zapper was at work blowing up a suspicious backpack that had been left sitting on the street. Reminded me of my last few weeks in NYC when, four or five times, I had to make a big detour around Times Square while the police dealt with suspicious packages there. Just like home, heh. It was neat to watch as the robot (looks kind of like a baby tank) drove itself up into the waiting truck after everything was declared all clear. Wished I had had my camera along.

I treated myself to dinner out last night because, while I love hummus I just couldn't eat it again in my hotel room. 5 days in a row is just a bit much even for me. So I splurged and had my favourite: toast gvina zihuba (grilled cheese :) --comes with a salad --and a large juice and then coffee (a lovely latte) afterwards.

I'm really hoping the people with the screaming baby check out of the hotel later today, heh. Not only did I have 3 cats wanting attention all night but the baby decided to scream non-stop and loudly between 2:30 and 4 and then again from 6ish-7 this morning. Oy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home