Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, July 18, 2005

A wee science experiment:

Take a two-liter bottle and fill it with water. Put it into your freezer until the water is frozen completely solid. Then remove the frozen bottle and place on a desk in your house or apartment at 3:40 a.m. Do not touch it after that. How long does it take for the ice in the bottle to completely melt and the bottle to become lukewarm?

In my house: approximately 50 minutes (error of plus or minus 2 minutes).

In another experiment I discovered that it is definitely the heat that is making me feel so ill. I took a break from working on syllabus #2 (I finished and sent the first one off, thank g-d) because there was a fire down the street and our electricity went out or got turned off as a result. Nice forced break :) We went to a nice cool restaurant and after an hour in the cool I started to feel immensely better --so much so that I got ravenous and actually consumed food and felt just fine and happy. That is, until I got home and walked into the furnace, oh, I mean my apartment. Happily the electricity was back on. Unhappily, within two hours I was minus one dinner. Now, even with the heat that rapidly melts a large, frozen block of ice, it is cool in comparison to earlier and I am feeling well enough to work on syllabus #2 again. It is going to be a day late (Israel is like half a day ahead timewise) but can't be helped.

Ok, when I get to Israel I plan to live roommateless (levad, levad!) and with an airconditioner or two or three... Note to self: find jobs #2 and 3 to afford roommateless, airconditioned paradise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home