Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, July 14, 2005

One month. Just one month. 34 little days. That's all I ask, and I don't think it is too much to ask, but, obviously, it is and was. My little cellphone has gone to wherever faulty electronic devices go prior to my pitching them out of second storey windows. UGGGHHH. So now I have no phone at all. I will have one in a week when the one I ordered from virgin something-or-other (also known as 'we have super cheap phone and no contract place) arrives. I need a phone darn it.

My cat Buffy is totally and completely healthy. I paid $125 today to be told that, "you just brought in a totally healthy cat who only appeared to your over-concerned mother's eye to be on the verge of possible death." Well let me tell you madame vet, prior to arriving at the vet hospital she did a good imitation of being on death's door. Her symptoms tell it all: Very hot and very dry nose (yes, I know it is nearly 100 F in my apt but still), lethargy, getting under the bed (possibly because Michelle and I kept trying to touch said hot and dry nose to see errr if it was still hot and dry), not eating much and womiting what she et. Well and last night womiting something that looked like it might be blood --but turns out it was just the laxatone I had given her a couple hours before. And, to top it all off, when I attempted to palpitate her tummy she, in a most un-Buffy-like way, wreeoooolllled and tried to bite me.

She didn't wreeoll or bite when the vet palpitated her tummy. She was the model of decorum. However, when the vet took her temp she bit the living crap out of my hand. Twice. Chomp, chomp. It was give-backs for the cross-town cab ride from hell. Even Michelle was looking green from that journey.

The bright spot was that at the vet hospital I met a nice Israeli woman with a really terrific cat aptly named Tiger (looked exactly like a miniature tiger!) who was 20 years old and who had been 25 pounds until quite recently (BIG cat but not a fat one). Recognizing the accent, as we both stood waiting for our darlings to be called in, I complimented her cat and asked her b'ivrit where she was from. Took her a second and then she asked, "b'eretz?" I nodded cheerfully and she told me and then asked, "ve at?" So I told her well here but that I am making aliyah in august and she smiled and said, "really? I thought you were already israelit." Whheeeeeeeeeeee :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home