Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, July 22, 2005

I'm going to the Hamptons for the weekend, Dahling. This will be my first time. My friend Buzz, who goes regularly and has a summer house there for weekends, called tonight and asked if I'd like to get away to the beach. Ohhhhhhh yes! The words, "the house has air-conditioning" were the magic ones, although beaches of any size, shape or description are instant magnets for me. Other friends, Michelle and maybe Sonia, will also come along.

Tried on the bathing suit I got a couple of years ago. Well, I've definitely gained some significant weight. It used to be big on me with my stomach looking concave (I was too skinny then) and now, while it theoretically fits, I look, as was helpfully and honestly pointed out "like you're in your second trimester --when's it due again?" So much for the two piece. Damn thing is orange anyway. I'm hoping one of the one-pieces will not be such a disaster but I don't plan to try either of them on beforehand in case they are. If they are and I haven't, the lure of the beach will overcome any vanity that is lingering and I'll just avoid any mirrors :) Ignorance in this case = beach bliss. It certainly doesn't help that I'm hanging out with a man who would consider the 60s (70s?) model Twiggy to be seriously overweight.

Rocked on the packing yesterday, despite the heat. Got 5 more boxes packed and two big bags of papers recycled from my filing/packing/sorting efforts. My goal is that by the end of next week there will be nothing unpacked in my apartment outside of what I am shoving in my two allotted suitcases and the glassware that the movers will pack themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home