Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A place to rest my head..

One major stress has been removed: I have a temporary place to stay that allows cats when I disembark from the airplane. The Bell Hotel in Tel Aviv allows pets. I had written them and four others that I found online that state they allow pets over the last several weeks and the lovely Bell was the only one to get back to me. They are the cheapest of the lot as well. I will now have two weeks (breakfast included *grin*) to find an actual real place to live where the movers can come and move me in. Now I can tell Nefesh and the Aliyah Center an address and they can stop pestering me with "we need an initial address and we need it now." Trust me, they didn't need this information anywhere near as bad as I did! Ahh relief.

I've become a bag lady in the meantime. A ziplock bag girl, that is. Peanut butter I knew to stock up on (though haven't yet) and my friend Michelle is carting 24 cans of tuna cross-country just for me. My cats soooo are going to love their Auntie Michie next year. And now, thanks to Einsof I have zillions and zillions of ziplock bags in all sizes so I do not have a zippie crisis next year.

Yesterday the 'other university' wanted to know what courses I would be interested in teaching and asked that I send along a detailed description of some of them. So I spent the afternoon hammering out six that I thought would both be fun to teach and would fit well with the program. Then this morning I got an email saying ahh very interested in one of the courses especially and maybe I could teach it in the business school in the fall... so tomorrow I need (they asked) to send them some supporting information showing I know what I'm doing with this topic :)

They also want my recent teaching evals and I'm proud to say (actually didn't know til today because I never got sent a copy of the final course evals from the last class I taught and had to go and ask for them) that 100% of my students said they'd recommend my class to a friend and 100% said they'd definitely tell a friend to take a course offered by me. I got very high ratings on all the other elements as well. I was very surprised, not to mention pleased, because this is very rare to get a 100% and the course was a hard one (graded hard, lots of reading, lots of assignments) and typically students who know they are going to get less than an A or a B+ tend to pan the class and instructor in the evals. The grades were pretty close to a bell-curve and...wow, mine didn't. I'd been really happy about evals for my other classes I'd taught before that ranked me in the upper 80s and low 90s. I must be improving as a teacher :)

Names: lol, I'm giving into the overwhelming pleas and not changing my name to Yocheved. I think it might have been Lisa's particularly passionate argument against it that sent the name officially into old lady land. Though, I do like the idea of Amy's of naming my next cat Yocheved...:) (I still feel a special kinship to those of you who also love this out-dated name!) But, since Imshin has a blond Yael I feel better and in good company. And I am as stubborn as a goat so maybe it does fit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home